Start Up Britain promoting US crowd sourcing site 99 Designs for Logos, WTF!!

Absolutely amazed by this yesterday. The Tories getting it spectacularly wrong again. Why would a scheme called 'Start Up Britain' line the pockets of US companies? Even worse do these new start up firms know that 99 Designs is a US firm? Well done Britain for voting Tory :icon_yucky:

I don't think the Tories can really be blamed for this; it's not a Tory initiative (or site) It's a private enterprise who've just been fortunate enough to get some Govt backing/PR. Cameron probably couldn't say no, didn't read the small print and wasn't advised well either!

Comments here too if you don't mind!: Reason's why startupbritain didn't hit the mark

:)

I don't think the Tories can really be blamed for this; it's not a Tory initiative (or site) It's a private enterprise who've just been fortunate enough to get some Govt backing/PR. Cameron probably couldn't say no, didn't read the small print and wasn't advised well either!

So now we can let our government off for being weak, ill advised and desperate for anything that sounds like 'good news' in the face of draconian budget cuts and the highest youth unemployment figures since 1992?

I don't entirely blame the Tories either considering how bad things got under Labour. It is a reflection of 'spin' based politics which started with Blair and Campbell. Is it any wonder election turnouts are poor and respect for politicians is at an all-time low?

We are becoming like America where big business runs politics. Who, ironically enough, is exactly who StartUpBritain is supporting. :icon_thumbdown:

Will climb down from high horse/soapbox now.

Cameron can say no to a lot of things, so that's no excuse. If he hasn't read the small print, been well advised, etc., then maybe he should have taken the time to thoroughly look at the initiative before putting his name to it.

He has given an endorsement to a initiative that is promoting American business on a British business startup site. How can he be excused for that?

And I voted him in by the way.

Say what? I would have thought that the whole basis for the complaint here is the Tory prime ministerial endorsement of this project; the private backers are at liberty to recommend and promote whoever they like but a stamp of approval from the evil, airbrushed, pasty-faced rooster inhalers who make claims - however hollow - of sticking up for British jobs is, in reality, the only reason people are up in arms, no?

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a monkeys who's promoting or endorsing it - the heart of the matter is the website promoting US companies over UK ones; and that was firmly a decision by the creators. I'm told they're now 'considering' promoting UK agencies.

The whole thing's basically an advertising portal for people providing business services and the like which would have passed unnoticed by most people were it not for the fact that Cameron was involved in the launch. Ergo, the man backing (and basically depending on) British businesses to bring about an unlikely economic recovery has played a central role in directing YOUR potential clients to bedroom enthusiasts overseas.

Whether it's incompetence, negligence or other interests being served, I do wonder how far inside people he needs to be before they realise what he's doing to them...

Cameron shouldn't have his big face on the front page if he isn't behind it. Yes he can't get into the nitty gritty of every decision but he's been badly advised on this one.

Hmmm.... Shame we couldn't get them to point here!

Yeah the thought did cross my mind, they've gone from one extreem to the other, cheap logos designed abroad and now large design agencies that start-ups probably can't afford.

They would have been better off pointing to our Tenders & Services Required Forum, at least they would then get a wide range of competitive prices from UK based freelancers/agencies. Anyone want to point that out to them feel free [email protected] :icon_biggrin:

It just seems as though it is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. It's a badly thought out initiative and I wonder if anyone else has heard if any other sectors have been affected by this or is it just design that has been s**t on?

Just picked up on this... appalling - couldn't they just promote looking locally for a graphic designer who people can talk to. As Boss says big agencies don't want to be bothered by loads of start-ups.... but their local graphic designer would be able to help them.

Perhaps we need an old fashioned 'I'm backing Britain' initiative!

Either way you look at it, we're talking about the recommendation of people who've now twice demonstrated their inability to make a decent recommendation.

It's ridiculous, and it's certainly not going to help the design industry, however, i think that large companies with the ability to afford a one to one service where they can really get involved with the design process are not going to use a website like 99designs, there are lots of these websites out there, i think it is ridiculous that the government are back this though.

It's ridiculous, and it's certainly not going to help the design industry, however, i think that large companies with the ability to afford a one to one service where they can really get involved with the design process are not going to use a website like 99designs, there are lots of these websites out there, i think it is ridiculous that the government are back this though.

But the large firms will go to large design agencies. Its startups, small and midsize agencies that will be affected.

Just noticed this on the 'start up' tab...

Gimp image editing - Open source image editing software for creating a logo

Advising a start up company to skip the branding process and design their own logo with raster software?

/facepalm

Way to fix the economy guys!

Back