SEO Advice

Hey guys,

Just looking to get some sort of general thoughts on SEO and how much you should really be spending per month to get first page rank for keywords...?

I have noticed that this website, graphicdesignforums is highly SEO'd... is that just me thinking that or is it actually?

If you do use a company to do any SEO for your business, could you put in a put just basically letting me know who you use, how you have found them etc, and how much u actually do per month..

Many Thanks..

Pete

Hi Pete

Unless you are aiming at running a marketing campaign or spending big PPC cash... you can actually do a fair amount of SEO yourself.

How much would you pay someone to do it for you?
This depends on how much needs doing really.... you can PM the site over and I will be happy to give it a quick health check and give you a rough idea.

~Peace~

Hi salvador,

Thanks for your reply!!

Well, i want to be page one, and highly ranked for 'printers in Edinburgh' and things to that effect..

the website is being developed at the moment and you can see the first mock-up design at

www.toyegraphics.co.uk/TG.jpg

i have been quoted by a company £100 pounds per month for the Edinburgh seo...?

What do you think?

Cheers

Pete

It sounds quite a lot

Hi Pete

What are you being offered for £100/month?
Did they provide you with any action plan that they will follow so you are clear on what you are paying for?

With ALL MY RESPECT to your provider, if I were you I would do the following once the site is produced:

• Make sure the site has clean CSS
  • Make sure title and alt tags are being used effectively for links and images throughout
  • Check the header tags contain your keywords
  • Place different title, description, keywords meta tags on each page
  • Make sure you have effective inter-pages links
  • Create a valid xml sitemap and submit it to major search engines - Google, Yahoo! and MSN provide you with tools to do so
  • Set some sort of traffic stats (i.e. Analytics or Statcounter)
  • Submit your site to local business directories
  • Participate in online communities such as UK Graphic Design Forums for instance and use your keywords to link back to your site

Once all the above is in place, give it few months and then make your decision whether you really need to pay for further exposure.

Hope this makes sense.

~Peace~

Hi Pete

What are you being offered for £100/month?
Did they provide you with any action plan that they will follow so you are clear on what you are paying for?

With ALL MY RESPECT to your provider, if I were you I would do the following once the site is produced:

• Make sure the site has clean CSS
  • Make sure title and alt tags are being used effectively for links and images throughout
  • Check the header tags contain your keywords
  • Place different title, description, keywords meta tags on each page
  • Make sure you have effective inter-pages links
  • Create a valid xml sitemap and submit it to major search engines - Google, Yahoo! and MSN provide you with tools to do so
  • Set some sort of traffic stats (i.e. Analytics or Statcounter)
  • Submit your site to local business directories
  • Participate in online communities such as UK Graphic Design Forums for instance and use your keywords to link back to your site

Once all the above is in place, give it few months and then make your decision whether you really need to pay for further exposure.

Hope this makes sense.

~Peace~

HI,

wow that was an excellant reponce, thankyou very much!!

Its the same company doing the SEO thats doing the site, i have paid £500 on site fee's. so i assume that this covers some of the points you have made above.

as for the action plan, not as yet as we are currently working on the site..however i believes its link building, and articles..?

do you believe that with all of the above you mentioned in your post, i can get page 1 rank for edinburgh printers and things to that effect without the monthly £100?

just on a side note, how do you know so much about SEO, it is something you do for clients?

Many Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete

Taking into consideration the reasonably low cost of the website you are paying, I cannot tell how much of the above they will offer you... it is worth checking with them.

Will the above get you on page 1 of the search results?
It is hard to tell depending on your competition...but this will guarantee you a decent organic exposure.
Having said that, you will not make it in a week or two - you've got to be patient, consistent and keep tracking the site performance.

On a side note, I do offer the above services to my clients and it is usually part of the site development process.

~Peace~

Hi,

the £500 is for the purely the SEO, website is a separate cost.

Sure, well i think i will see how i get on with the £100 per month, and if that does not work out very well, fancy giving me a quote?

Cheers

Pete

Pete, did you mean that they are doing what I suggested for £500 as a seperate cost from the site + £100/month?

That would be mega expensive matey!

What do other people on the forum think?

yes :-\

its a bit late now :-\ kinda already paid it...!

I just want to rank number 1 for edinburgh printers, good printers in edinburgh, edinburgh fringe printers.. etc etc. i want number one.

so i thought paying that would secure my chances if you will?

Last edited:
Yeh, been looking into that, thanks. seems about 2-3k searches per month.. is that high? What keywords would you guys suggest? The budget agree with the SEO company is for a local campaign only, so must be contained within the north.. so can't optimise for 'flyer printing' etc etc...

I think £500 for SEO on top of the site development is a bit steep, we do the basics of SEO within the site development as standard, as in my opinion it's good practice.

I would also question or ask them to quantify what they are doing for you to justify £100 per month. To bes honest as someone already commented I'd get the basics right and see if the ongoing charges are still necessary, we find that sites we optimise for local searches tend to make it onto page 1 without much ongoing work (of course it does depend on the competition).

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any FREE advice.

think £500 for SEO on top of the site development is a bit steep, we do the basics of SEO within the site development as standard, as in my opinion it's good practice.

i think that sounds incredibly reasonable.

take off the price tag and look at the quality before you judge it.

mhmmm, thanks for all your advice everyone.

I think £500 is steep, however if it gets the job done.. then thats all i want! Its paid now anyhoo so!

You can check out the site at: Toye Graphics.

Supposedly, the onsite SEO is not completed until the website is finished. currently having a bit of a problem with the Product options, eg quantity, finish etc etc..

we shall see!! the proof is in the pudding

Back