Resizing a 72dpi image to 300dpi in Adobe Photoshop

Pixels Ink

After reading another thread there was a method posted up on changing a 72dpi image to 300dpi but required copying and pasting.

There is a much simpler method than that.

Firstly, open up your 72dpi image in Adobe Photoshop and then go to Image > Image Size....

before.jpg

You can see my original image is 27cm x 36cm but at 72dpi which is no good for printing.

To change your image to a 300dpi resolution all you need to do is uncheck the Resample Image box and type in the new resolution, in this case 300dpi and click OK:

after.jpg

Your image will decrease in print size, this one has gone down to 6.5cm x 8.6cm but it is now of print quality.

The larger the pixel size of your 72dpi image the larger your final 300dpi image will be.

A lot of free images from stock sites like SXC come as native 72dpi images and the above method will quickly convert them to usable print images without the need for copying and pasting into new 300dpi documents.

I hope some folk find this useful.

Col.

Last edited:
!

I'm amazed that anyone here doesn't know that!
(I'm not knocking the help posted...just gobsmacked that something as basic as this needs to be asked!)

I'm amazed that anyone here doesn't know that!
(I'm not knocking the help posted...just gobsmacked that something as basic as this needs to be asked!)

This forum isn't just for experienced graphic/website designers, it's also for people with VERY basic knowledge looking to get into graphic/website design and even for people who don't have any intention of doing graphic/website design for a living but just have a copy of Illustrator/Photoshop/Dreamweaver and want to learn to do basic things themselves.

We all know how to do the above, however, there are members that won't :icon_smile:

Yeah, we all have to start at the beginning. you would also be amazed at how many people that are very experienced with applications like photoshop etc do things the long way round :)

Back