Remove white from logo

favdes

Hello everyone,

Sorry to be a pain but I was hoping that someone might be able to help us with something.

We're trying to help a small primary school with their logo but we've become stuck. They had a web site created in the past and the company also created a logo for the school. Unfortunately, the school were messed around by the web site company and they parted on bad terms. The original logo file was never sent to the school and now they're stuck with the small, jpeg version.

They have asked me to try and remove the white areas of their logo but I'm really struggling to do it and keep the quality of the logo. Does anyone have an idea of how I can do this? I've tried doing it in Fireworks, using the wand tool, but the edge of the areas where white has been removed are awfully distorted.

Kind regards

James

Attachments

• school logo jPEG.jpg
    school logo jPEG.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 19
They are pretty simple shapes you have there, can you not just recreate it in Adobe Illustrator or another vector application with the pen tool and circle shapes? That way you will have a HQ version that you can easily scale at will and not have to worry about the loss of quality.

If not, the easiest and quickest way I would do this is in Adobe Photoshop, I would let the program pretty much do all the work for me by getting it to select the white only, via the colour range.

In Photoshop go to the Layers Panel and double click the background layer

Say ok

Layer is named Layer 0

Put a layer underneath and fill with green (for a green screen effect).

Double Click Layer 0 and move the "Blend if Gray>This Layer" slider to the left.

Hold Alt (or Option on Mac) and drag half the triangle back to the starting position.

View it on the green screen and if you're happy with it then hit the eye icon beside the layers panel.

File>Save for Web and choose PNG 24 and tick Transparency

Capture.jpg

Image a bit small this is better

lgrxj.jpg

Only problem with that technique is you may find one of two things happen:

1/ You are left with a thin white 'stroke' around the image due to it not completely removing all the white 100%. i.e. You are left with a bit of white around the image.

2/ It does get rid of all the white but starts to eat into the actual image.

But obviously with it being at such a tiny size it will hardly be noticeable.

Well - you get away with it on this occasion and with a bit of tweaking can be really useful in a quick fix and it's easy for people who aren't used to making selections.

That being said - there's plenty of tutorials out there Making Complex Selections in Photoshop

Personally for this I'd use the pen tool - create a path - create a selection and remove it.

But that's really for advanced users.

But as you point out - there's a place on the forums for offering someone some paid work to redraw the logo or remove the background for them.

Generally don't allow any free work on the forum - so if it's a paying job then I'll move it there.

Well - you get away with it on this occasion and with a bit of tweaking can be really useful in a quick fix and it's easy for people who aren't used to making selections.

That being said - there's plenty of tutorials out there Making Complex Selections in Photoshop

Personally for this I'd use the pen tool - create a path - create a selection and remove it.

But that's really for advanced users.

But as you point out - there's a place on the forums for offering someone some paid work to redraw the logo or remove the background for them.

Generally don't allow any free work on the forum - so if it's a paying job then I'll move it there.

Back