Question?

Pentiger

Hello I'm new hear, I would like to ask a question about stock images and such if anyone knows.

I spotted a company that is using a stock image of a wolf head artwork, it's been on the net so long I don't really know who the real artsits is and it's on all stock
websites, my question is can this company use this image on thier merchandise line? They are putting it on t-shirts and hats.
Next to the logo on his Instagram Profile photo is a R which means the design is trademarked officially registered. Can they put the R next to the logo when though they didn't buy the full copyright from the real owner? Thank you. Any help would be grateful.

Hear is the company's account. https://www.instagram.com/underwolf.med/ with the stock image they are using.
and hear is the stock image https://tineye.com/search/b2b1ea720822dabcec2af9b89267000fa25db419?page=1

Honestly for all we know they may have purchased the rights from the original designer, as you say you don't know who the real artist is.

In general terms it's down to the T&C's of the stock image and this varies from site to site.

Can it be registered, not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if you can or what is more likely to have happened is they've just stuck the r on the image, should you do this, not really but some do.

At the end of the day unless you're the original owner of the art work or the company you linked to there isn't much you can do because you don't know what has or has not been signed. US might be different though.

Honestly for all we know they may have purchased the rights from the original designer, as you say you don't know who the real artist is.

In general terms it's down to the T&C's of the stock image and this varies from site to site.

Can it be registered, not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if you can or what is more likely to have happened is they've just stuck the r on the image, should you do this, not really but some do.

At the end of the day unless you're the original owner of the art work or the company you linked to there isn't much you can do because you don't know what has or has not been signed. US might be different though.

Thank you so much for the answer, I was unsure.

1) my question is can this company use this image on thier merchandise line? They are putting it on t-shirts and hats.

2) Next to the logo on his Instagram Profile photo is a R which means the design is trademarked officially registered. Can they put the R next to the logo when though they didn't buy the full copyright from the real owner?

On buying stock images you can buy extended licenses https://www.istockphoto.com/ca/vector/wild-wolf-gm163862748-14833733 - you can click on Extended License for options for merchandise and print runs etc.

Bit of research into the logo and there are so many different people hosting it on stock sites and different sites everywhere, it's likely the original owner has given up on this design and just isn't bothered with it anymore.

That doesn't make it right though. If these became a multi-billionaire company then the original illustrator might step forward for a cut of the money - but they would have to prove that they originally created it and all that - with original sketches and things like that.

With so many different sources for the image - it would be hard to prove where it came from and what kind of deal was struck for use of the image from where they sourced it.

For all we know - they are the original creators of the image.

Back