PSD Layout in Dreamweaver

SAS25

Hey guys. I've imported my .psd website template layout in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 and I'm having a problem trying to center the layout! In the page properties I have clicked on 'middle' as well as 'Absolute Middle' and each time I have previewed in my browser, it is still on the left hand side. Any ideas?

Hey guys. I've imported my .psd website template layout in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 and I'm having a problem trying to center the layout! In the page properties I have clicked on 'middle' as well as 'Absolute Middle' and each time I have previewed in my browser, it is still on the left hand side. Any ideas?

Wrap your page in a div tag with the ID of #wrapper.

Then create the CSS rule;

Code:
#wrapper {
width: ???px;
margin: 0 auto;
}

In your stylesheet.

Word of advice... Importing a PSD from Photoshop is NOT how to design a website (whatever pre-pubescent Americans on YouTube might tell you) :icon_wink:

Cheers...coding means no work for me as I am clueless at it! I'll be passing it on to a friend of a friend for that part lol! I'm just doing the graphics mate. I've tried creating websites in Dreamweaver but find it irritating lol! Cheers anyway.

Ah right, fair enough. I just see that approach so often from people building sites that I assume it is for a production site.

You could try wrapping the whole image in a div like so;

Code:
<div align="center">
[I]Site Goes Here[/I]
</div>

That should do it for demo purposes.

Just out of curiousity..what it the correct way to build a website (software, etc)?

That is a very broad question but, fundamentally, you need your content marked up with semantically correct HTML (i.e. headers in h tags, paragraphs in p tags etc) and then styled from a CSS (cascading style sheet) that tells the browser how you want the HTML to be displayed. The key is to separate style from content.

The issue with exporting from Photoshop is that Photoshop doesn't understand semantics so you are not going to get a Google and user friendly website from that. People build websites, not computers.

As for software you can build a website using notepad if you want to.

Back