Poster critique!

Kai16

Hi everyone =) Well basically my school's art department commissioned me to create 2 posters promoting the school art clubs and soo I created these xD They've already been put up around the school but I was wondering what all of you awesome designers on here think of them and if there's anything that I can improve =) I'm not too sure if they stand out enough and if the typography's ok but it's the first time i've tried to create posters so any advice would be really appreciated!

Attachments

• Art club poster year7finaljpg.jpg
    Art club poster year7finaljpg.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Art Club poster year10 finaljpg.jpg
    Art Club poster year10 finaljpg.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 35
I like them actually, I love the retro/vintage colour.

I'm not keen on the clipart paintbrush in the 2nd one though, and I don't know if the horizontal text is working with the rest of the type being at an angle but they work, and they're certainly not eyesores :D

Thanks! =D Yeah I normally would have drawn my own paintbrush but I had to give these in the day after I was asked to make them xD

Agreed, I really like the faded feel that the colour has about them, along with the textured background. The angled text seems to fit the style well and I think you've pulled it all off!

Nice job (although I'm not sure you need the little pictures/graphic devices at all); particularly like the colour choices you've made.

Thanks both of you =)

Dave L - I put the graphic elements in because I thought that the posters would look a bit empty otherwise! But i'm starting to learn now that sometimes less is more xD

For some reason I can't find the button to edit my post xD but i forgot to say that I also put the elements in to try and make the posters look more like they were for art clubs, and that I didn't put the same elements on both posters because I wanted to target different year groups =) If that makes sense!

I see what you're saying but they look a bit like an afterthought to drive the message home. If I were revisiting it with this in mind, I'd probably try to communicate the art thing a bit more overtly (but still subtly) by making the light diagonal strip on the right-hand side (or maybe the coloured one on the left - not sure) look like it had been done with a paintbrush (something like this: Photos.com - Photos.com | License and Download 94502949 Today.).

That said, I don't think it's necessary.

I see what you're saying but they look a bit like an afterthought to drive the message home. If I were revisiting it with this in mind, I'd probably try to communicate the art thing a bit more overtly (but still subtly) by making the light diagonal strip on the right-hand side (or maybe the coloured one on the left - not sure) look like it had been done with a paintbrush (something like this: Photos.com - Photos.com | License and Download 94502949 Today.).

That said, I don't think it's necessary.

Hmm yeah I guess they do a bit now you mention it. Thanks for the advice and the idea of making the strip look like it was painted! I'll try it out at some point =)

i haven't got any critique really, just wanted to say good job, really like them. great design, colour scheme. nice one

Back