Please choose the best logo

Hannah Garden

Hi, I created these 3 logo options for a female freelance photographer, based on her vision of course (which can get tough). I am curious to see which one you guys like best.
1664683727254.png
1664683772711.png1664683805422.png

Firsly, there is not enough to go on to make a valid critique, we’d need the brief you had to go on. ‘If it was just, ‘do logo for photographer’, then part of your job is to learn to extract more from the client. What they want to say and who they want to say it too. You need to begin to tell her stor. Personally, I am not a fan of logos in isolation. They are fairly meaningless until used as part of a brand identity.

Secondly, when presenting to other designers, I think you should lose the mock-up part and just present the logos themselves. They are so small on the image tha to see them you have to blow them up until they pixelate.

Thirdly – and you are probably not going to like this – I am afraid they are all very predictable and cliché. I have been struggling to say anything positive about them. They are aren’t terrible (though there are technical issues with some of them) but they are all just a bit, well, predictable really. What do they say about the photographer and her work? What makes her different?

If this was all I had to go on, I think I’d roll my eyes a bit. My take from this would be something along the lines of, 'here we go, another self-taught wedding photographer with a penchant for over-filtered instagram-esque shots.’ Not something she would want, I’m sure, unless she is just another self-taught wedding photographer.

Over-used visual devices like camera lens and aperture mechanism are to be avoided at all costs. It’s is up there with advertising a decorator with a cartoon of a bloke holding a paint brush.

Not what you want to her, I’m sure, but I hope it helps.

Thank you for your response. I agree with you 100% that these are extremely run of the mill and don't say much. I also prefaced this by saying that this was the clients vision. (Initially, I did present her with more exciting choices) My question was, out of these 3, which is the MOST pleasing.....Also, what kind of technical issues are you thinking of? I appreciate your feedback!

First rule; never present anything you doing think is right for the client. They will always choose it. It’s the same law that makes toast always butter side down! You can never go back and say that it won’t work for them as well as another option, as you open yourself up to, ‘Why did you present it to me then?’

I am afraid I couldn’t really choose between them. How pleasing they are is not the issue. You question should be which is most effective and without a brief, I can’t really say. If I had to on aesthetics alone, though, I don’t love it, but because it doesn’t rely on visual clichés it would have to be the first.

As to technical issue, the relative size of the word photography on the other two is an issue. If you reduce the logo size to business card size, the that word would become unreadable. same applies to the highlight on the chapter ring of the lens. That would just fill in when you print that small.

Kerning is possibly an issue on some, but I can’t really at the size the appear in these images. They pixelate too much, which is my point in the comment above.

can you repost them please without the decoration, so we can see them properly.

As Sprout says really. Far too small to see properly, and what I can see is very generic.

I would go for the name style as everything to do with cameras has been done to death, but not too keen on the font choice.
This is what I see most photographers go for these days, they don't usually go for logos.

I'm going for a different approach to answering this.

If you've done what the client has asked, and they are happy, take the money and move on.
For some jobs/clients you just need to take a commercially viable approach. Will you get paid more for giving more? Is additional work to persuade a client your way is better worth the effort?

I imagine as a freelance photographer, they've not given you a large budget.

The designs you have presented all serve the purpose, they're not unattractive, and if the client doesn't want to listen to professional advice then don't waste any more time.

I do know that photographers consider themselves to be within the 'creative' industry and may feel confident enough to 'design' their own concepts, but I guess in this instance lacking the technical skill to professionalise the design hence asking you.
My final word though would be to advise the client to think about the logo usage, I wouldn't be surprised if they want it embroidered on polo shirts, or screen printed onto jackets etc. Sign written (vinyl cut) onto a vehicle or equipment cases.
They would need to think about how well that will translate.

One very good way to make profit on this kind of work is to offer the printing for cards, etc and get involved in branded merch etc. You can usually add a decent mark up.

Hi, Hannah,

I really like the 3rd photo, because it's more easy to read the logo, 'RINA', if I'm correct the object is a camera? looks smart, :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback! After all said and done- the client came back and said she's sorry for making me make all these designs blah blah blah. She liked a logo from my first round of more dynamic logos!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyond frustrating, but fortunately, I charge per hour!

Thanks everyone for your feedback! After all said and done- the client came back and said she's sorry for making me make all these designs blah blah blah. She liked a logo from my first round of more dynamic logos!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyond frustrating, but fortunately, I charge per hour!
That’s not uncommon. I’d be interested to see what the final choice Is.

Back