Photoshop v Illustrator

CiaranGFX

Another question, if you don't ask you don't know etc. etc.

Which would you consider better for branding such as logos etc.? In college they always preffered us to use Illustrator but i never understood why, i of course understand why doing vectors and such is better but why text? Or is there another hidden programme that i've never heard of which is even better ha?

Thanks.

You've answered your own question, Illustrator because it enables vector based files.

i of course understand why doing vectors and such is better but why text?
Text has to be scaled and printed also, so ensuring it is vector enables this with the best possible results.

I wasn't being snotty I was just saying that anyone tries to tell you different is wrong, as I realize you are not a professional:) and are asking advice :)

Although there is a member (who will probably be along soon) who swears blind that photoshop is the best method of logo creation and is as good if not better than illustrator at producing vectors.

I'm more comfortable with Photoshop so prefer playing around in there with ideas and seeing how they will display, but for the actual production it is always in Illustrator for all the reasons outlined.

For other items like flyers, I tend to use InDesign to produce them but creating lots of it in both PS and Illustrator.

As others have said, Illustrator is best for logos because like you and they have mentioned, you'd make them with vector shapes which can be increased and decreased and still look perfect. Text will work in the same way. Whether it's outlined or not, it's still a vector shape. If you create a shape or piece of text in Photoshop, it will keep them the same size you make them initially. They can't be increased. If they are they're just ruined.

Roughly speaking, Photoshop should really only be used for image editing, manipulation, as well as web layouts. Although like a couple of others have said, some people are just more comfortable using it for various other things.

InDesign is best for any print related work, magazines, books, brochures, flyers and whatnot. It works the same way as Illustrator with the added advantage of being able to set up multiple grids and things.

As others have said, Illustrator is best for logos because like you and they have mentioned, you'd make them with vector shapes which can be increased and decreased and still look perfect. Text will work in the same way. Whether it's outlined or not, it's still a vector shape. If you create a shape or piece of text in Photoshop, it will keep them the same size you make them initially. They can't be increased. If they are they're just ruined.

Roughly speaking, Photoshop should really only be used for image editing, manipulation, as well as web layouts. Although like a couple of others have said, some people are just more comfortable using it for various other things.

InDesign is best for any print related work, magazines, books, brochures, flyers and whatnot. It works the same way as Illustrator with the added advantage of being able to set up multiple grids and things.

Couldn't say much more spot on

Back