Photoshop help

CabotPrint

Hi guys,

Can anyone help with this...
When I am designing PVC banners on Photoshop, normally 2 metres plus, the system can crash.
Render for print using InDesign.
For example.
I tried to render a file which ended up about 3 gig ...
Is there a way to reduce the file size but keep the quality.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I think we need some more info. Is it Photoshop or Indesign? What are you 'rendering', it can mean different things? What kind of file are you saving it as, and at what resolution?

I'm no expert but the obvious thing would be to reduce the resolution, that sounds way too big.

I think we need some more info. Is it Photoshop or Indesign? What are you 'rendering', it can mean different things? What kind of file are you saving it as, and at what resolution?

I'm no expert but the obvious thing would be to reduce the resolution, that sounds way too big.
Hi,

The issue goes as follows.

The large-format PSB file is 10 ish GB when exporting to InDesign in order to transform it into a print-ready pdf with bleeds, it comes up with a message, just saying invalid error (very descriptive, thanks adobe) there is not much info on the issue from adobe.

Hope this helps

I don't know anything about psb files but you obviously need to try and reduce the size of the original photoshop file. I just Googled 'how do I reduce a psb file'
and quite a lot of tips come up for psd files, so try that first. Also reduce the final file to something like 150 ppi?

It looks a bit thin on the ground here today but there should be others around later that are more in the know about print.

i did try to reduce it, but with the size and the customer's requirements for quality, the lowest I was able to go was 210ppi, I even merged layers and disables transformation layers.
its as small as it is getting unfortunately.

IMO it's likely crashing due to not enough system memory, those file sizes are huge.

Can you tell us a little more about the system you're trying to do this on please.

Yeah I'd say ram is the issue, 16GB might seem like a fair bit of ram but in all honesty with a 10GB file it's not that much

Yeah I'd say ram is the issue, 16GB might seem like a fair bit of ram but in all honesty, with a 10GB file it's not that much
yeah, I was thinking the same... I've done this size of the file before however and hasn't been an issue before.

Artwork for vinyl banners is typically vector.
Why are you working in photoshop?

For a vinyl large project - work in Vector program like illustrator at 1/10th the original size.

The print operator then increases the size by x10 fold for output.

You'll work with much smaller files - and being vector they can scale to any height.

If you're doing raster work for the vinyl cutout and working at 1/10th the size - the your optimum PPI for the raster at 1/10th the size would be about 1000PPI.
When that scales up to x10 factor it will be 100PPI which should be fine for work viewed at a distance and that's large.

Hi Cabot,
I myself faced the same issue for a couple of times when I used to work on a big file on Photoshop, the system turned off itself.
Better work on Vector Program for bigger projects as print operator is designed to magnify the size of the original file upto 10x fold and has no issue with the RAM.

Back