Overload by typefaces

Mariana21

Don't you feel overloaded by so many options of typefaces? Does it still make sense to create new typefaces? Don't we have enough already?

Hello, for me, the uniqueness of the fonts is everything. I want to emphasise that there are far too many fonts that are very similar to one another. I believe that new, original concepts are needed rather than clichés. Like in the example below.

There’s so much music out there, should we stop making it? It’s only 12 notes, after all. There’s only so much you can do with that!

Like music, only the good stuff survives.

I agree, there are an awful lot of very poor quality fonts out there that people have ‘knocked up’ in a relatively few hours. Good fonts take a long time (sometimes years) to complete. As I say, only the good ones survive; which is why we all return to the Proxima Novas (for example) time after time and not the cheap/free Gotham knock-offs with inconsistent glyphs and non-existent kerning.

Why do I get the feeling that the link Dtark posted is to a font they made... this thread had been dead for over 1.5 years, then a single post linking to a font which is a 'user upload' with a donation box....

Like the others I can't say I'd be using it either, it might work as part of an alien language but I can't see a use for me in 'normal use' imo

Why do I get the feeling that the link Dtark posted is to a font they made... this thread had been dead for over 1.5 years, then a single post linking to a font which is a 'user upload' with a donation box....

Like the others I can't say I'd be using it either, it might work as part of an alien language but I can't see a use for me in 'normal use' imo
Ah yes. I hadn’t looked at the time difference between the first and second posts. I agree, I can’t see a use for that font. Plus, this is a good example of one of those ‘knocked up’ fonts I was referring to. Although kerning is not an issue, in terms of needing to consider the visual spacing right between glyphs, there has been absolutely no optical compensation, or overshoot, etc accounted for in the glyphs themselves either.

Back