Our design heroes

Storm Thorgerson Storm Thorgerson

He's one of those designers who once you start to look more into their work, you realise you've been seeing it for years. And once you've grown akin to their style, you can spot work of theirs you've never seen before because of it.

I particularly like the way he focuses on the use of using physical objects to create slightly surreal photography.

The late Helmut Krone is my greatest inspiration. Not a designer, but a pioneer in the way advertising changed in the late 50's for the better.

His conceptual way of thinking was fantastic and I aspire to be able to one day produce work to his level.

I used to love Carson a few years back, but yeah, I think his work hasn't really aged that well. Obviously, he knew the rules, then broke them to his advantage. It just looks messy and irritating for me, what's the point in something that looks like that? It's not functional. He was like the punk of the design world I reckon. I bet tutors were having a nightmare when his stuff came out.

One of my biggest influences at the minute is Olly Moss: Olly Moss
I love his work.

Yes! Have you seen his incredible Star Wars posters? His Evil Dead poster is brilliant too, a really claver simple style.

I like. You can see an awful lot of derivation in much of it but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ive found myself being drawn towards war time design recently. The likes of J. Howard Miller and the nose art of the same period just do it for me! It's like comic strip art with feeling.

...part time tutor we had called Eric Lochrane.

Hi. I knew Eric quite well at North Staffs (Stoke). He was one of my tutors in the Graphics department in the late 80s. (You forgot to mention he played harmonica in a jazz band!). A great guy, who gave me tremendous support. Everything a college lecturer ought to be and more. A real character and-a-half.

I wonder where Eric is now - probably a self taught neuro surgeon?:icon_wink:

Neuro surgeon, probably not. Having undergone neuro surgery, quite possibly! (Anyone who knew him will know what I mean!) :)

Eric Lochrane was/is also an accomplished illustrator. Tomi Ungerer was one of his own "heroes", incidentally.

Back