Organising Fonts

@GCarlD

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on how best to organise fonts? I have been trying to tidy up a bit and was wondering how everyone else organises their font collection.

Currently my fonts are simply organised alphabetically, which is useful when you know the name of the font you are looking for. ideally, it would be great if there was an app or something that would allow me organise them in groups like Serif fonts and San Serif fonts, as two separate lists whilst keeping their alphabetical chronology if possible. At the same time, it would be super helpful if there was something like Font Book that allowed me to type in any word I like, to which I could then simply scroll through my fonts and see what my typed word looks like in various fonts of my choice. Like having a preview.

How do you all organise the fonts you have collected over the years?

Thanks.

I use Suitcase Fusion to organise my fonts. It allows you to split the fonts into different sets, keeping fonts together for specific jobs, or create smart sets, where you can use a range of criteria to group them together, such as style, weight, foundry, etc. Oh, and you can preview words/sentences in all fonts by just typing it in and scrolling through your fonts.

Hi Carl,

I use NexusFont, its quite a basic piece of software and its also donateware.
I'm not quite sure how it compares to the competition, but I find quite quick and easy to search, install/uninstall, create sets and find duplicates etc.
I'm not sure if Bridge will allow the batch rename of font files, but if it does you get could creative with the naming which might help with your organisation.

Good luck!

ps In my first year of Uni I installed about 3000 fonts and couldn't understand why my laptop was so sluggish! :)

Hi Guy,

Thank you, I did a bit of research and it seems ok for a basic font tool. It's understandably not as polished or extensive as the recommendation above but can't complain, as it is free after all.

I don't have anywhere near 3000 fonts but my Mac will be able to handle it, as it is high spec and only 8 months old. Were you using a Windows PC by any chance?

Back