Olympic logo copy?

It's hardly an original idea for a logo is it? Minimalistic figures holding hands and forming a ring. The colour scheme is pretty much the same though, which would certainly concern me.

However, the Telluride logo and it's likeness to Matisse's painting is just too obvious, particularly when you look at the stance of the first figure and the leg possition of the second.

You could even say it would pass as a rehash of the Telluride logo if you hadn't seen the logotypes with them.

Can't say I like the Olympic logo at all. Looks like they're playing 'ring of ring of rosies'...don't see the significance of it. It looks the same as the Telluride logo though, but again, the Matisse thing.

London 2012 is much better ;)

Looks the same, can it just be a coincidence? To think that if it was ripped off of the Telluride Foundation's logo then someone has been paid a lot of money to "design" the Rio olympics logo.

It's sad that someone has spent so much time designing a logo that looks good and the some clown comes in and copies your design

Actually I think I quite like the logo... As a pleasant shape etc...(It's waaaaaaaay nicer than the 2012 one IMHO).

But the similarities are too many. And if they are citing the mattise painting as the inspiration, then why dancing for the Olympics? Unity? I get the feeling that this is more suited to a public body like a Local Involvement Network or something...

Also, how would this work well in mono?

What is it with olympic logos being crap!? Haha! I would say it wasn't a original idea in the first place so I don't think it was copied from the charity.

Just re-looking at this at least they have copied a good logo and not created a really poor one like London 2012, still bad though.

The similarities do seem striking, and it reminds me of the problem I face occasionally when I'm struggling to come up with something and need inspiration from other design work just to get me going on the right track. It's not a case of being lazy or just trying to save on time but more like you just need to get into that zone and therefore looking at good design work and seeing why they work can seem a good idea. The problem arises when you end up creating a design that even though you ultimately improve on the original work, it just ends up being too close to something that has inspired you. You then enter into a very frustrating situation of trying to change it whilst trying to retain what you like about it and ultimately you end up with an inferior piece of work and scrapping your 'better' design.

What is it with olympic logos being crap!?

It's probably because they have to go through so many hoops and be approved by different people who all have different ideas with no design experience.
However saying that how the hell did the 2012 logo get approved!!!?

Lazy design really annoys me, I could understand it more if it was for a small company for a low amount of money but seriously? someone has been paid a huge amount to do this, no design process has gone into this it's just straight to the computer on this one.

Lazy design really annoys me, I could understand it more if it was for a small company for a low amount of money but seriously? someone has been paid a huge amount to do this, no design process has gone into this it's just straight to the computer on this one.

Fair point

Whilst there are similarities in thse, I'd be pretty peed off if I was accused of plagiarism here. The original is shaped specifically into a heart, the shape of the people are a lot rougher and it uses primary colours (the same 4 colours that the Olympic rings use). There are millions of logos out there with red, green blue and yellow in. And like someone said above, people standing in a ring holding hands is hardly a significant element.

The olympic version, I actually prefer. It's a lot more fluid. They've added totally different elements with the connecting feet.

The Telluride logo and the Matisse picture look more alike than the Oympic logo and the Telluride one.

Whilst there are similarities in thse, I'd be pretty peed off if I was accused of plagiarism here. The original is shaped specifically into a heart, the shape of the people are a lot rougher and it uses primary colours (the same 4 colours that the Olympic rings use). There are millions of logos out there with red, green blue and yellow in. And like someone said above, people standing in a ring holding hands is hardly a significant element.

The olympic version, I actually prefer. It's a lot more fluid. They've added totally different elements with the connecting feet.

The Telluride logo and the Matisse picture look more alike than the Oympic logo and the Telluride one.

Am I missing something here? Its virtually the same logo. Even the colours match. You can't say that other logos use them colours because its the way they've used the colours that is the problem and they way they've used them is exactly the same. Don't forget that copyright doesn't infringe unless its distinguishable from other artworks, and I don't believe this is. It could be a different version of the same logo!

Its obvious the inspiration has come from the original.

One forms a heart shape, one spells out 'Rio'; One uses five single colour figures, the other uses three more stylised, blended figures. Similar? Yeah, why not. The same? Nah, not really. Very similar elements (people holding hands in a circle, like that hasn't been done a million times before), differently put together (the main point of similarity to my eyes is probably the angle at which the figures are set).

I don't understand the hatered for the London 2012 logo at all.
It's bright, it's energetic, resembling the Olympic Games themselves. It moves away from the already trodden 'worlds united' idea.

Fair enough, it looks a bit like Lisa Simpson performing a sexual act, but hey, it's interesting and eye catching and that does me.

Last edited:
Back