Nottingham Trent University - Graphic Design Degree Help!

Kai16

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not Nottingham Trent's graphics course is well respected in the graphic design industry? I've firmed it as my first choice for uni next year but recently been having some doubts about it! Any info would be really appreciated =) Thanks!

Employers are more concerned with the quality and content of your portfolio than which university you went to. In ten years time it'll matter even less. Just be creative and produce excellent work, which uni you went to will be irrelevant in the long run.

But choosing a good uni which allows you to do what you want and offer you good direction will help with your foundations!

It is true though, quality of work over which uni you went. At least, I'd like to think it goes that way...

Nott Trent historically had a good reputation for design but I'm basing this on it's rep over ten years ago so don't know if it still has. It was my first choice back in the day but didn't get in.

Thanks for the replies everyone! They've been very useful =)

Nottingham Trent's course seems to offer everything I want, the tutors seem great and the facilities look good so i'm hoping it will be fine =)

Jimlad - I know you said that in the long run, the uni I went to will be irrelevant. When looking for first jobs though, will the employers still look at portfolio over the uni? Or would they just look at CVs and choose, say a Central St Martins student, over a Nottingham Trent student? Thanks =)

Kai16 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! They've been very useful =)
will the employers still look at portfolio over the uni? Or would they just look at CVs and choose, say a Central St Martins student, over a Nottingham Trent student? Thanks =)

Its all about the portfolio and experience. Nobody is going to choose a student by what Uni is on their CV without looking at their portfolio. You need to go to a uni with a good course so you gain the skills nessisary to get a good portfolio. I actually landed a work placement because my CV was nicely designed and it turned out the person who I sent it to didnt actually read it all! Designers are visual people and the name of the uni will be insignificant if the work you produce in your portfolio is not good. I went to Sunderland uni as it had a lot of good comments from Computer Arts Magazine and it turned out to be a really good course (Design Multimedia Graphics). I'm not sure how good the rest of the Uni is, but it doesnt really matter as long as the course you choose is good. You get a feel for how good a course is by going into the Uni and having a look around, especially when students are there working etc.

I cant stress enough that nobody cares what Uni you went to or even if you went to uni at all. Its all about the portfolio, your passion for design and your previous experience once you have some that is.

Haha xD ok, thanks again for the reassurance =) definitely feeling more confident about where i'm going for uni now =) can't wait to start the course!

Back