New file sharing platform for creators - landing page criticism

benoit22

Hey all,

We've prepared a new landing page for MeeroDrop - our file sharing platform dedicated to creators.

We'd be happy to get your views on it :giggle:

landing_meerodrop_003_gif_communication.gif

First impression? Understanding what it's all about? Design wise?
I still have some doubts on the "+" button size & color.

Feel free to share any feedback you might have!

Don't care about the home page...you have an even bigger issue in your t&c's imo.

So that we may provide the Meero Drop Services, and/or any other Meero Drop products, offerings, and/or other features, You hereby give us and our affiliates a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, assignable, unlimited license to use Your Files in connection with Meero Drop, including, without limitation, the right to host, store, scan, search, sort, index, create previews, reproduce, communicate, distribute, publish, publicly display, edit Your Content.
Sorry but I'd never use a service that has that sort of text in it's t&c's.

TBH in this day and age, epecially with things like GDPR, nda's and the likes I'm not sure any company should be looking at an external site for this type of thing....

Thanks for your prompt answer!
GDPR and confidentiality is of course of great importance. The T&Cs have been written by our legal team, in accordance with GPDR (we're a French company).

To make it simple, it says we can "use" the files to allow the good functioning of our services (i.e. let people to be able to access, preview, download the shared files...)

Many creative freelancers and agencies already use transfer tools to share files :)

Alright!
I'll get back to our legal team and see if they can rephrase this part to make it "less scary" for you :)
Thanks for your feedback!

Just to clear the terms and conditions.

If you send a file to someone, Meero Drop pretty much has the rights to use the content?
If that were the case then there's no way I'd use a service like that no matter how it was phrased.
It doesn't feel very confidential either.

Obviously the T+C's are not your responsibility so not poking anything at you personally but....:oops:

I understand, no worries :)

Your content stays your content hopefully, and cannot be used by us. We can't access it neither.

I quote our legal team: "It's just that we need this license to operate the services (i.e. to "host, store, scan, search, index" etc. - i.e. the stuff that MeeroDrop does)"
Hope it's a bit clearer!

Ahh. I get you now.

Must admit after reading it (as it is) I wouldn't use it but now you've explained I'd feel much better.
BTW. Really like the layout and animation. :)

I understand, no worries :)

Your content stays your content hopefully, and cannot be used by us. We can't access it neither.

I quote our legal team: "It's just that we need this license to operate the services (i.e. to "host, store, scan, search, index" etc. - i.e. the stuff that MeeroDrop does)"
Hope it's a bit clearer!
Note the bit I put in bold... to put it bluntly, you don't need that bit for what you're offering because to me that basically gives you rights to use my work however you see fit, as long as you say it relates to your business.

In fact, imo, you shouldn't really be searching and indexing any work we upload considering it's meant to be between 'me' and 'my client', all I need for that is a way for them to access the files I've uploaded, either via a direct link (think 'custom url' like zoom etc for video conferencing) or a 'project management' style approach.

Also your terms and conditions state about the ability to access and delete files you find unacceptable and while I assume this is general legalise (and in some cases perfectly acceptable, such as the topics you mention in t&c's) you can't do that without access to our files in one way or another.

But the biggest issue is that you don't have any way of protecting work which is under nda's and it is possible for this to be done because some of the 3D rendering farms I am aware of do actually fully support nda's.

In addition to Levi’s highlighted part, the other part that concerned me was a couple of lines below; the right to reproduce. I understand that in context, but it leaves it wide open. Also, potentially more scary, especially, in conjunction with reproduce, is edit! Why would you need the right to edit someone’s files? Slightly worrying. Combined with the part Levi pointed out, it effectively takes ownership, in all but name, of anything you upload.

As others have said, it’s potentially a great service and exactly one I would use over my current method, but those clauses would completely preclude it for me.

Yes - I already use filehosting sites such as ProofHQ and Adobes own new Share for Review, and a few other sites to get feedback from clients on projects.
Plus we have our own FTP for mega-large files over 5gb.

I would not feel comfortable using Meero - as it simply says you have the right to publish your content - which is a service I am not willing to use - as I require confidentiality.

It's a nice site - easy to use, and I like the landing page.

The T&C's need a lot more work if you want to get creatives involved.

Back