Netbook for a Graphic Designer?

Netbook for a Graphic Designer?

Need something small to take with me everywhere instead of lugging the 17" lappy with me

Mainly for emails file sending etc but ideally need something to run Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4 for small on the move amends, holidays, client meetings etc?

Are they powerful enough to run these programs? are there any particular models / brands?

I’ve got a NetBook which I used when I went travelling for emails/blog and so on. I would pull my own eyeballs out rather than use it for work but I met a guy who had the same one and was using Flash, Photoshop and Dreamweaver and putting together websites quite happily (nice websites too!).

We went for the most expensive Acer Aspire One - it was about £340 at the time I think. To be honest they’re brilliant things and £340 isn’t much for a computer these days so worth a punt. You will find that sometimes they won’t meet minimum specs for software but the software will actually run if you try it. Anyway, Acer seem to be popular.

I won't be working on it if I can help but you know what happens when your away etc someone needs a file or an amend etc figured it would be handy to own one

If youre intending using CS4, an ipad is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. lol :icon_tongue_smilie:

Realistically speaking you dont want anything smaller than 13inches simply because you'll need all that space for tools and pallets in CS4 so realistically youre looking at the MacBook. If you dont wanna spend £850 on a new one theres always the 2nd hand market.

I have my desktop and 17" laptop for major works etc the reason I want a netbook is for on the move, train, holidays... giving me small capability to email, file sending, minor amends to Illustrator, photoshop, dreamweaver if a client urgently needs something... I would never sit down and actually begin to work on a project from scratch on this...

Sony ones seem to be the fastest PC world sell, still not quite meeting the system requirements for CS4 but not a million miles off.

Like I said, they’re perfect for emails, I also used mine for uploading and downloading files, amending a website and playing the odd (old) game.

If youre intending using CS4, an ipad is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. lol :icon_tongue_smilie:

Realistically speaking you dont want anything smaller than 13inches simply because you'll need all that space for tools and pallets in CS4 so realistically youre looking at the MacBook. If you dont wanna spend £850 on a new one theres always the 2nd hand market.

That'll teach me to read the original post properly.

I have previously used an Acer Aspire netbook running CS4 and it wasn't that bad, it may annoy you after 15-20 minutes but if your after quick amends and changes it was fine, cost me £250 from Tesco, it is perfectly fine for internet and emails.

Back