Need Project Ideas

eescvc

I'm in my 3rd year of BA (Hons) Graphic Communication, and I have to find 2 self initiated project ideas asap. At the moment I only have one idea (create a design to accompany a range of stationery - working with print techniques both analogue and digital), but I need to think of a second. I need to be able to justify it in terms of my overall portfolio of work. I am finding it hard to identify what I am 'missing' or what I have too much of etc. Here is a link to my behance so you can see my main area of portfolio as to date. https://www.behance.net/emilycurtis . I am very much into experimental work, and I like mixing photography, craft, illustration in both digital and analogue! Quite broad really!

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Emily.

I don't see any typography other than the 'Addicted' stuff so I'd do something with more typesetting if you're looking to expand your portfolio ready for employment. When I give students crits I look for two things in their portfolios: ideas and typography. Most junior design work is working up layouts that have come from more senior members of the team, so you need to be up on your type skills. A senior designer will spot a typographic error a mile off so ensure you don't make any.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking of creating a photo book type publication with typesetting alongside so that could work I guess.

ideas and typography

Hi Emily, I agree with Paul Murray.

If it's possible, could you design a magazine or a booklet?
This will definitely test your typography, colour, layout, imagery, positioning, structure, experimentation and your ideas. And is also a great project to confidently show your prospective employer during an interview - creativity to the max!

With regards to your first project idea, why not consider packaging design as well? Or a marketing campaign to launch a product?

I think one of your ideas should be corporate-related!

...creating a photo book type publication with typesetting

With respect, when I informally interviewed a young graduate who showed me an A5 squared off photo book of well-known people in black and white with famous quotes next to them - I found it boring, honestly.

It would be nice to create something to develop new skills, something that will appeal to employers from agencies, in-house teams or corporate businesses. Your work needs to give them new ideas like inspiration, therefore memorable!

With respect, when I informally interviewed a young graduate who showed me an A5 squared off photo book of well-known people in black and white with famous quotes next to them - I found it boring, honestly.

Mine is hopefully going to be all original photography and illustrations about the council estate I live on. I'm planning on the text being a mixture of facts, quotes, interviews etc. I guess I could make it into more of a magazine style layout, with sections on different things within the same subject. thnaks for all the ideas though!

Mine is hopefully going to be all original photography and illustrations about the council estate I live on. I'm planning on the text being a mixture of facts, quotes, interviews etc. I guess I could make it into more of a magazine style layout, with sections on different things within the same subject. thnaks for all the ideas though!

This sounds interesting! :icon_biggrin:
You could even experiment with infographics using the appropriate facts and figures relating to your Council estate.

Back