Need portfolio critiques (student)!

For whom have you built the portfolio?

If it's prospective employers then it's very light on content. If it's just a brochure to show off your work I'd be tempted to put everything all on one page so people can scroll. Remember that most of your visitors will be using their phone so make it easy for them (think about how a facebook or twitter feed works).

The idea behind the real deal page is very good but the images need captions. It's not clear for example if those posters were pasted on a wall or you have just created the image.

Create a footer with your contact details. I'd even experiment with putting your 'about' page in the footer.

Please make the portfolio a link in your profile signature.

And can you also post some images from your portfolio that you want critique on.

Its very difficult to critique a whole portfolio, so if there's specific elements you want looked at post them directly to the forum as images.

Forum rules are here and will be updated from time to time

If it's prospective employers then it's very light on content. If it's just a brochure to show off your work I'd be tempted to put everything all on one page so people can scroll. Remember that most of your visitors will be using their phone so make it easy for them (think about how a facebook or twitter feed works).

The idea behind the real deal page is very good but the images need captions. It's not clear for example if those posters were pasted on a wall or you have just created the image.

Create a footer with your contact details. I'd even experiment with putting your 'about' page in the footer.
Thanks a lot! I added a caption on the images to add context on where I would be placing them. As for my audience, I'm applying to internships so this portfolio is for recruiters.

Please make the portfolio a link in your profile signature.

And can you also post some images from your portfolio that you want critique on.

Its very difficult to critique a whole portfolio, so if there's specific elements you want looked at post them directly to the forum as images.

Forum rules are here and will be updated from time to time
Thanks for letting me know! I made a second post regarding a specific project on my portfolio.

Thanks a lot! I added a caption on the images to add context on where I would be placing them. As for my audience, I'm applying to internships so this portfolio is for recruiters.
Then you need to provide a lot more information about each project. Put all your projects on the homepage and link each one to a project pages. Add more words. And your contact details on every page - including a phone number and a private email address so they can still contact you when you leave uni.

You need a lot more design work on there to interest potential employers. The illustrations aren't really illustrations, they're just student art projects.
Employers won't be interested in that or the photography. If you need to push the illustration side then you need to make it more relevant and incorporate it in to some design work
like packaging, book covers, advertising, logos etc.

Besides that - it shows talent. Which is lacking in a lot of portfolios I come across.
More work is indeed needed. But also, it's good work - keep it up.

You need a lot more design work on there to interest potential employers. The illustrations aren't really illustrations, they're just student art projects.
Employers won't be interested in that or the photography. If you need to push the illustration side then you need to make it more relevant and incorporate it in to some design work
like packaging, book covers, advertising, logos etc.
Thanks a lot! My guts were telling me to get rid of the photography section all together, as the photos are not very impressive. I think I just wanted to compensate for my currently low number of work.

As for the illustrations, I have a passion for drawing so I will definitely push it by incorporating typography and design work (like the examples you gave)!! I realize they’d be more relevant (and employable) than having them stand as merely posters. Thanks a lot for that idea!

Thanks! I’ll def add more context + captions.

Besides that - it shows talent. Which is lacking in a lot of portfolios I come across.
More work is indeed needed. But also, it's good work - keep it up.
Thanks a lot hankscorpio! I recently transferred to a design concentration, so I will definitely be adding more work as time goes.

Back