Makes me smile...

pcbranding

...when I see people claiming to be designers, that have their logos all sorted out with the word 'design' or 'designer' in them, to then see them request help on some very basic Photoshop/Illustrator question or to see a total lack of understanding of basic design. Often they seem to be trying so hard to create something 'designer-y' that they miss the obvious (what does it mean, what should it say, why..etc.)

In this world, you can't get away with just 'having ideas' and thinking 'I know, I'll be designer' - you need technical understanding AND creativity as otherwise the service you offer is incomplete and potentially lowers the reputation of the thousands of accomplished/proficient designers out there.

This may open a can of worms and I know that there are very new designers on here, who need advice, but can't help worrying sometimes! What do you think?

The thing is, I truly believe that the people in question will one day become tangled, and will pursue other interests. But those who have a desire to continue what they love, will prosper.

I understand that many on these boards follow graphics as a hobby, so all questions in my view are welcome. Questions from others also opens a portal for those who do know what they're on about, to compare their methods and maybe pickup on other ways to do something.

...when I see people claiming to be designers, that have their logos all sorted out with the word 'design' or 'designer' in them, to then see them request help on some very basic Photoshop/Illustrator question or to see a total lack of understanding of basic design.

Ain't that the truth. If I see a really technical question that's a bit leftfield (the kind you come across once in ten years) I may answer, but some of the basics that are being asked here are clearly indicative of someone that shouldn't be calling them themselves a designer.

It takes more than a PC and a couple of programs to make you a designer. I would, to an extent, challenge the idea that creativity has a huge amount to do with it, as the "creative process" provides that if you don't have that inbuilt. Maybe that is creativity though; don't know, it's a big question. I just wouldn't consider myself creative, though my customers do - I just know how to drag something out of nothing.

With regard to knowing the basics though ( and I'll start with some basics which have almost had me rolling around that "designers" don't know this) if you don't know (IMHO in order of obscurity) what bleed, spot colour, overprint, trap, a shiner, X1 etc are then you need to take a step back and learn some more.

The problem that I find a lot of the time is that we have to spend time correcting work that had been provided by "designers" that don't know what they are doing and correcting normally costs more than having the job done correctly in the first place. The knock on is that a perceived overcapacity in design drops the value of the market; you just have to look at what a graduate GD makes an entry in to the trade to see that this is already happening (not that I believe a degree is a prerequisite - time served generally is OK too).

I agree with both of you. Whilst the purpose of a forum is to answer questions and discuss topics, anyone that charges for design should know about bleeds and CMYK...!!

See, that's what I thought :)

In all seriousness though, i do agree with your sentiments. It is amazing how folk can turn into designers because they have the 'kit'. Shame they don't have the basic know how!!

Hi All,

I also agree with whats been said above. However, spare a thought for those who are coming from design from a slightly 'sideways' angle. Eg myself who has a degree in Product and Furniture Design, not a graphic design qualification. Although I have a grounding in design and a good knowledge of the subject, I may not have all the tools to make me a good graphic designer.......yet.

But how do people like me get the knowledge?

There are no bibles or set ways of doing things; with me its certainly a case of learning by doing, and researching things when I encounter them.

I think the dilution of quality that the industry is facing (other industries have the same problems I'm sure - take the music industry) has a lot to do with technology making it easier for people to 'have a go', but ultimately, its the one's that won't/don't learn how to do things and correct their errors, that will fail.

Please bear with us - we're trying!

:)

All too true, anyway off to perform some brain surgery as I have a scalpel and a white gown somewhere...

...that's all your need right? :icon_biggrin:

Back