Logo Feedback - Student Project

AysheaS

The logo is for an app called OurPark, it is an app to report park issues such as vandalism, littering, etc. I've come up with some initial ideas (not finalised yet). This is for my Final Major Project, I'm in my last year of a BA in Graphic Design. I would like some feedback on which one you prefer and anything you like like/dislike. The app is mainly aimed at parents but as children aged around 12-15 are one of the biggest park users I don't want to put them off so I want to keep the logo friendly - nothing too corporate looking. I been brainstorming ideas around parks - trees, fields, sports, play equipment. Also around community - people caring about their local park, getting involved in looking after it. Attached are the best 4 so far, these are not final logos but hopefully you get the idea from them. I will ask feedback from parents too.

Attachments

• Our-Park---V2-Logos-01.jpg
    Our-Park---V2-Logos-01.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Our-Park---V2-Logos-02.jpg
    Our-Park---V2-Logos-02.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Our-Park---V2-Logos-03.jpg
    Our-Park---V2-Logos-03.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Our-Park---V2-Logos-04.jpg
    Our-Park---V2-Logos-04.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 21
The text is ok, prefer 2,4. Not sure about the marks, number three is getting there. How about a simple row of people side view in silhouette - kids playing,
parent and pushchair, teens chatting etc?

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen a silhouette design be used with something similar, so I don't want to copy the idea. I did try something with a swing but couldn't get it to look right. Did try a few other ideas but couldn't get them to work right.

Look at the logos in your post without clicking on the images. That's the sort of size they will be on the screen. They are too small and blurry. #4 is the simplest but it looks like a zillion other 'green' logos.

They really need simplifying, remove all the additional texture and fuss and just work with a black shape for now. No.4 would be my favourite to work up, the heart/leaf motif would transition well, and a heart is a recognisable app icon already, so could be worked into the UI for saving/favouriting content. I'd use a stronger font though, what you currently have reminds me of a day care centre or something (though the colours could have something to do with that). Look at the National Trust font, that's a serif which feels traditional, but it has character of its own.

Also try it out in some different contexts – a sign in a park, livery on a van, engraved into a bench, hell even mowed into a park field so it's visible from above! Really go to town with the idea and push it to see what works and what doesn't. Generally the simpler something is, the stronger and more versatile the branding elements around it can be. If it doesn't work, well you've got some decent research for your final project, which is generally what gets you those points anyway.

Honest first impressions... they have a 'eurovision song contest' vibe to them imo.

I'd also argue that the design isn't really hitting the 12-15 year old segment that it's aimed at, when you look at that age now they're a lot more 'specific' in what they like.

Personally, I like where you've gone with these and although there is some room for improvement I think you've done well here.
I tend to like No4 the most but I see what you've done with the others also.

Green/community logo type stuff can be hard to do and re-invent the wheel so to speak as they do tend to have a similar vibe anyway.
A bit like optician logos. ;)

Back on topic...

Does the app even need a logo? The words OurPark with the right font and colours is all you really need.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry wasn't in the mood to reply further yesterday. Not sure what will get me "those points". After posting this I received some crappy feedback from my tutor for my last project, I'm really doubting myself at this point. I did tons of research, told it was all good - the idea for the design was good, well executed etc - and now just scraped a 2.2 for it. Confused as hell.

Going to try out some more ideas and play around with the logos I've got. Maybe just the right typeface would work, I really don't know right now! Need to clear my head and someone how work a miracle to get a 2.1 by the end of the course.

Keep it simple. Really simple. It's got to work on everything from a 28px favicon all the way up to a poster. So you may need a range of different logos/icons.

I wouldn't sweat the grade too much. I know it's stressful but in the long run it doesn't really matter. Design education and design practice are drastically different. I'd give anything to have 8 weeks to work on a project now. Hell, 8 days would be nice!

Grading is essentially about ticking boxes on a sheet, you have to 'show your working out' for the examiner, showing the process you took to demonstrate how you came to the final outcome. This is something I struggled with because sometimes you'll just look at something and an idea will click. But you need to show how that idea came to be. I was often forced down a path I didn't want to follow simply because I'd done so much research on that idea already that if I switched idea, I'd fail. I hated design education by the time I'd graduated, it was drastically different to the experimentation phase of 1st year and it just felt like I was wrong for the industry.

Fast forward a few years and I've been working self-employed since graduating, in-house for other studios and for my own clients. Some of the people on my course that got good grades are working in shops or banks for whatever reason. One guy scraped through but was nominated for a D&AD and a YCA award for his final project. It really doesn't matter all that much. 99% of the time you'll be hired for the work in your portfolio, not the grade you got. Focus on making friends and contacts in the industry. I can almost guarantee a job will come from a studio you've done experience with or via someone who works there.

I want to be a teacher so I ideally need to get a 2.1 which is why I'm worried about it. I've been working on some more ideas. The logos would be used without the text for the app icons in the Playstore. The first one I would just use tree on it's own without being on the K if that makes sense but I think it might be too detailed for an app. Thanks for everyone's help so far.Our Park V5-01.jpgOur Park V5-02.jpgOur Park V5-03.jpgOur Park V5-04.jpg

The first one is nice, but that last one with the OP in the circle is great! Not keen on the fonts though (a bit light for me), I preferred
the hand-drawn styles of the first designs.

Reduce the icons to the size you will see on a phone and the only one that works if #3.

You are overthinking this. The simpler the icon the easier it will be to replicate on apps, phones, posters, websites, stickers, t-shirts etc.

The 'style' on the third logo has been used a lot imo, especially as a b (beats audio) instead of a p.

I like #1 a lot. It is engaging and informal and appealing to families. Although I agree with Paul above in regards to #2, I think it is too formal and corporate looking. It is a great logo but I think #1 is more appropriate for a park. Great job.

Just thought I would update the thread. The mark hasn't be verified yet so it could change but the project got a first unless it gets marked down during verification. Thanks for all your help.

Back