Logo dimensions!

foxycraig

What logo dimensions would you suggest to be safe to build a logo in photoshop?

sometimes logos need to be produced in photoshop because of elements that may not be able to be created through a vector. I know it needs to be big, but how big?

Such as a long exposure of light, which obviously can't be made into a vector.

Quite a simple answer is needed. Obviously as big as possible is best, but where do I draw the line so that I can be safe.?

You just need to think what is the largest size that logos ever going to need to be produced. So lets say A4 landscape and make it 300mm wide at 300dpi and that should do it. It will make a huge file so get it signed off and create a smaller version for everyday use. Of course write down exactly how you produce the logo just in case you ever need an even larger version.

Don't do it in Photoshop. Find a way to make it with vectors. You can do pretty much anything with vectors and then it's properly scaleable and able to be produced across all media from faxes, to car vinyls, to brochures etc. If it will only work in Photoshop, it's too complicated to be a logo.

Don't do it in Photoshop. Find a way to make it with vectors. You can do pretty much anything with vectors and then it's properly scaleable and able to be produced across all media from faxes, to car vinyls, to brochures etc. If it will only work in Photoshop, it's too complicated to be a logo.

I have to agree with this. In my view, photoshop is for photos.

Yep, I'd agree also, you need to be using illustrator/vectors really

Practicality

I'd agree here that if it can't be produced in vector, it means that it's too complex in some way to be a company logo.

Logo's need to meet the practical needs of a business as well as being visually creative. For instance the design you are embarking on, can it be stitched onto apparel?

http://www.trulyace.com/blog/design-projects/all-purpose-logo-design/

Not all logos can be, but the 'ideal' is to try to come up with something that can be used in all ways at any size.

That blog link also has some design tips for what constitutes practical and usable design.

Amanda

Good advice, I'm going to remeber that!

Back