Logo: Challenging, abstract design goal!

@Levi , @Wardy - Ooorgh. Okay. Massively appreciate your inputs. Will sketch away and come back to you.

@Levi in particular, you really don't think hashing stuff out in 3D helps? It's worked for me in the past, but obviously logo work is not my forte. =)

So, took your advice, did a little sketch and goddamn I like where that's going.
1663206458743.png

(If you can actually parse what's happening there...)

It's good framing and angle gives a good sense of what it is.
You need to lose all the gritty small details.
And clean lines.

At this size
1663223696133.png

There's no way you'd know what it was.
For example.

Consider how these look at small sizes
1663223780519.png

Looking ok, though I think it's lost something once you took it into Blender. You obviously have some drawing ability, so develop the pencil sketches
and get it right that way before you do a digital version.

@hankscorpio - Roger, understood. On the gritty small details front, I think I can probably get rid of the literal grit and stones (which I had to emphasize the lighting), but I'm still trying to work out what to do with the upper left viewfinder. The bottom right I could use the negative space of the shadow, but the upper left is sorta resistant to being part of the 'whole'. I guess I can have the character lift their arm up to have the ul viewfinder cut out from it. Maybe they're holding up an object...? =/

Not sure I want to complicate this MORE, but I do want to pull the viewfinders into the overall shape of the logo.

On clean lines, I hear you. I'm not sure I'm there yet - or rather, I'm not a good enough artist to deliver clean lines on every iteration (see my leaning on 3D software). We'll get there!

Great point at the small logo sizes. I'm not sure we're going to get to the Swoosh, though - we may end up somewhere around Starbucks, if we're very lucky. None of those logos are dependant on perspective either... Ehh, not whining, thinking out loud (in text). =)

@Wardy - I think you're being a little too kind with the 'drawing ability', but I'll continue to iterate on paper when I get a chance. Honestly, once I pulled the heart out, I was so pleased with the immediate result, I just wanted to throw up a version for y'all. =P And it makes sense too... As you say, I was being too literal with the heart - just the fact that we're bothering to capture the 'look' of fixed cam games says 'appreciation'.

I'm tempted to remove the viewfinders too, but I think that'd shift the 'intent focus' from the act of viewing to just inspecting the figure. Either way, getting rid of the heart was a fantastic call, thanks!

A very fast (and instantly regrettable) experiment with hiding the text in letterboxing...
1663240548722.png
Oy. =(

I think the text will have to go top and bottom of the square, maybe even a word wrapped to each side or something. Anyhow.

Thanks for the feedback, folks, extremely useful!

Roughly
Witht the text in the circle
You can make the circle more 'camery' if you want
Fixed Camera at the top
Appreciation Society at the bottom

1663324100864.png

Back