Light boxes

blackdogsdad

I’d like to use a lightbox to copy originals drawn on 80g paper onto 190g watercolour paper.
I see there are lots of ultra thin light boxes available but non seem to suggest they’re bright enough for my requirements.
Does anybody know of a model that will do this?
Thank you.

You shouldn't have a problem with that weight of paper on any light box. I trace through on to 300gsm all the time, I just need to make sure my original
has a decent black line to start with, I usually use a photocopy. I use a Daylight LED lightbox at the moment.

I was looking at those thin, LED light boxes a while back as they look very good for the price.

I tend to use a piece of glass on my lap/legs with an angle poise lamp underneath.
No school like......... ;)

Thanks!
I was about to make myself an old-fashioned lightbox when I discovered these new-fangled, super-slim LED fandangos had
been invented (!!!) but as with all things there's a mass of choice and inevitably quite a lot of bad reviews thrown in with the good ones.
I looked at loads (some very cheap) but the crucial matter of what total weight of paper could be lit through was hardly ever mentioned
and when it was mentioned by a reviewer, it was a model that apparently struggled with 135g.
Anyhow, I've now found one which someone uses with 300g paper and not too pricey either so about to order it.
Thanks again.

Thanks!
I was about to make myself an old-fashioned lightbox when I discovered these new-fangled, super-slim LED fandangos had
been invented (!!!) but as with all things there's a mass of choice and inevitably quite a lot of bad reviews thrown in with the good ones.
I looked at loads (some very cheap) but the crucial matter of what total weight of paper could be lit through was hardly ever mentioned
and when it was mentioned by a reviewer, it was a model that apparently struggled with 135g.
Anyhow, I've now found one which someone uses with 300g paper and not too pricey either so about to order it.
Thanks again.

Cool. Maybe you could do a bit of a review and post a link if it works well as I'd be interested in getting one that does the job. :)

I fear my cobbled together effort is only going to end in tears and a trip to A&E. ;)

Scotty, why can't you just tape it to the window!? That's what I used to do back in the day. Has to be in the daytime of course. ;)

I also used to tape stuff to windows at Junior School in the '60s but I prefer to sit down nowadays!
Back then, us old gits used to be given "Izal" bog-roll to use as tracing paper too (which was a far better use for it than what was intended by the manufacturers)
Proper tracing paper / swanky lightboxes... whatever next?
They'll probably be drawing with computers one day.

I also used to tape stuff to windows at Junior School in the '60s but I prefer to sit down nowadays!
Back then, us old gits used to be given "Izal" bog-roll to use as tracing paper too (which was a far better use for it than what was intended by the manufacturers)
Proper tracing paper / swanky lightboxes... whatever next?
They'll probably be drawing with computers one day.

Jeezus! I remember Izal toilet paper.

It was made in Sheffield where I'm from and was put in school toilets to discourage students from having a poo.

All the ones I've used, even at printers were home made.
I just can't justify making one as I don't use one that much which is why I improvise. :)

Cool. Maybe you could do a bit of a review and post a link if it works well as I'd be interested in getting one that does the job. :)

I fear my cobbled together effort is only going to end in tears and a trip to A&E. ;)

Well, it's arrived... I bought this:
It seems pretty good so far.
Only switched it on for testing at the moment so not used it for an extended time but there's absolutely no suggestion of any heat
build-up (which is one of its selling-points on the advert): some reviewers of other models have complained they get hot.
Most importantly (for my purposes) it can shine through at least two superimposed sheets of 190g water-colour paper
- at first I thought it could barely manage a 190g over an 80g BUT that was because I first switched it on in a fully daylit room.
I then drew the curtains and BINGO the lightbox performs perfectly.
The light intensity can be stepped up or down by holding down the ON/OFF touchpad.
It comes with a USB cable for powering either from a PC or direct from the mains using a phone-charger (as per the instructions).
Only thing to watch is it's said to be A3 but the active area is actually 400x300mm which is a tad less than A3 (but that's no problem for me).
There are quite a few cheaper ones out there but also lots of models which are 10x the price and more.
I couldn't tell you how this compares with others, but for £29.99 I'm very happy.

Well, it's arrived... I bought this:
It seems pretty good so far.
Only switched it on for testing at the moment so not used it for an extended time but there's absolutely no suggestion of any heat
build-up (which is one of its selling-points on the advert): some reviewers of other models have complained they get hot.
Most importantly (for my purposes) it can shine through at least two superimposed sheets of 190g water-colour paper
- at first I thought it could barely manage a 190g over an 80g BUT that was because I first switched it on in a fully daylit room.
I then drew the curtains and BINGO the lightbox performs perfectly.
The light intensity can be stepped up or down by holding down the ON/OFF touchpad.
It comes with a USB cable for powering either from a PC or direct from the mains using a phone-charger (as per the instructions).
Only thing to watch is it's said to be A3 but the active area is actually 400x300mm which is a tad less than A3 (but that's no problem for me).
There are quite a few cheaper ones out there but also lots of models which are 10x the price and more.
I couldn't tell you how this compares with others, but for £29.99 I'm very happy.

Cool! :)

Sounds pretty good for the money although I may opt for the one with the built in hand warmer for Winter days. ;)

Back