Laptop

RPN4X

Hello,

Hope everyone is well.

It's been a long time since I've done logos/websites etc.

I don't have a massive budget maybe £300 and looking to buy a second hand laptop. What specs should I be looking for to run programs such as all the adobes? Also what other programs do people recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Going to be completely honest with you here, in the current market I'm not sure you'd actually be able to get a laptop with good enough specs to run the adobe suite well enough.

Other programs - Affinity and davinci resolve are two that come to mind.

Going to be completely honest with you here, in the current market I'm not sure you'd actually be able to get a laptop with good enough specs to run the adobe suite well enough.

Other programs - Affinity and davinci resolve are two that come to mind.
Honesty is the best policy! I'm trying my luck with some cheeky offers though :D

Thank you for your reply Levi, however, what specs would you recommend if I do come across a bargain? I'm thinking minimum 8gb ram but 16 if I can?

Probably more than you want to pay but I'd recommend quad core (4 core 8 thread) (i5 or higher intel, ryzen 3000 series on AMD), 8+ GB ram, 250GB+ SSD (do NOT get a Hard drive), 1080p+ display.

As to if you want AMD or Intel, honestly in laptops there's not much in them with their current gens, intel is slightly better single threaded a fair bit of adobe stuff is still single threaded...) and AMD is better multi-threaded so depends more on your workload. I'm looking at maybe getting a laptop at the moment and I'm edging towards AMD over intel but I can use multi threading in my 3D work.

The rest is up to you really although I'd maybe look at battery life.

If I'm being totally honest, I'd probably suggest looking at new laptops and if you can try and double the budget or use that price range as an idea of what you should be looking for.

Thanks Levi! I put a cheeky offer of £300 in for a hardly used asus rog zephyrus ga502du but he's sticking at his £500 that he wants. £1000 refurbished online, but we'll see.. he may consider it if he doesn't sell!

Honesty is the best policy! I'm trying my luck with some cheeky offers though :D

Thank you for your reply Levi, however, what specs would you recommend if I do come across a bargain? I'm thinking minimum 8gb ram but 16 if I can?
As far as I know, the minimum gbs of RAM that is ideal for Adobe applications is 8 and that is already hard to find on a bargain or as a second-hand product. You can also check out this page from Adobe to see the minimum system requirements for all Adobe applications so you know the base of your search. :D

8gb would be far too low - minimum for real world application of InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator would 16gb and/or 32gb larger images/more complex images and for animation/video and 32/64gb for anything more than the average animation/video developer.

While I said 8+ earlier (due to budget constraints), that is what I would class as the bare minimum and I wouldn't personally want less than 16GB in a laptop, ideally it would be 32GB but that's not easy to get without spending far too much on 'second device' which is a laptop.

If you are serious about this and want it to be a career, invest in your future. You will only make your life far more difficult by having inadequate tools. You can’t bake a cake without a decent oven.

Back