I've lost so much confidence...

Nb1299

Hi guys,

So I've applied to design/graphic design courses in various universities. I've already been accepted to one (portfolio was accepted) and I have 2 interviews soon.

And... my teacher has destroyed the last of my confidence. Just because I forgot to bring one of my workbooks to art class (I had another one with me) for the first time in several months, he started shouting at me in front of everyone that I'm "never going to get into art school like this" and that I "need to improve now", etc and honestly I was about to start crying had he not stopped there and walked away. It was humiliating and the worst part is that I have no idea where it came from. My portfolio for the design courses is looking good, already accepted to one and he's here telling me that I'm basically not good enough. Awful. He was cold to me the rest of the class, criticizing every single little thing I did and I'm just shocked.

Does anyone have any idea why he would be so awful to me when I've literally just made the smallest mistake compared to other classmates? Anything would be helpful. I'm just so upset now. Thank you.

From what you've said it sounds like a completely unacceptable and unprofessional way to behave, especially on front of others.

I suspect he was referring to your lack of preparation rather than your actual work and skills. You've been accepted to a course, so that just proves there\s nothing wrong with your work. I lose confidence every time a client asks for amends and doubt my skills every single time I send something over for approval to someone. It's part and parcel of doing something creative for a living. You're literally creating something from nothing and presenting it to the world for their (often uneducated) opinion on it.

If you forgot a workbook on a uni course, chances are nobody will even care, it's you and your degree that suffers if you don't put the effort in. Shit happens, but you can bet you won't be unprepared again. Just put it behind you, get on with nailing that course and let him snap at someone else.

You know what they say, those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Sounds like a bit of a nob having a bad day. :eek:

Fact is, he shouldn't have really gone off at you like that. Not really acceptable IMO.
Thing is, you've already been offered a place so it shows what he knows.
(At this point I'm sticking two fingers up at the screen) ;)

On the flip side. If you're going into Design you'll need to toughen up a bit.
(That's a general statement not just aimed at you).

One of the big things you have to learn in the creative industry is to take constructive criticism in the way it's meant and not take it personally.
It can be VERY hard at first and it can/does knock your confidence but it's just the way things are.

Good look with the other two interviews and hopefully you'll be in a place to choose your course.

From what you've said it sounds like a completely unacceptable and unprofessional way to behave, especially on front of others.

I suspect he was referring to your lack of preparation rather than your actual work and skills. You've been accepted to a course, so that just proves there\s nothing wrong with your work. I lose confidence every time a client asks for amends and doubt my skills every single time I send something over for approval to someone. It's part and parcel of doing something creative for a living. You're literally creating something from nothing and presenting it to the world for their (often uneducated) opinion on it.

If you forgot a workbook on a uni course, chances are nobody will even care, it's you and your degree that suffers if you don't put the effort in. Shit happens, but you can bet you won't be unprepared again. Just put it behind you, get on with nailing that course and let him snap at someone else.

You know what they say, those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.
Sounds like a bit of a nob having a bad day. :eek:

Fact is, he shouldn't have really gone off at you like that. Not really acceptable IMO.
Thing is, you've already been offered a place so it shows what he knows.
(At this point I'm sticking two fingers up at the screen) ;)

On the flip side. If you're going into Design you'll need to toughen up a bit.
(That's a general statement not just aimed at you).

One of the big things you have to learn in the creative industry is to take constructive criticism in the way it's meant and not take it personally.
It can be VERY hard at first and it can/does knock your confidence but it's just the way things are.

Good look with the other two interviews and hopefully you'll be in a place to choose your course.

Thanks to both of you. You've genuinely made me feel better :) Yeah, I've heard a lot about how the creative industry's tough, I just never expected it to come from my high school teacher, you know? Thanks again!

There's a saying which I can't remember exactly... basically it says those who can't get into their chosen field end up teaching it. Your teacher sounds like the usual jaded 'art teacher' I had when I went to college before uni, complained about me taking a 'designer' approach when he should have explained it better... 4 pictures on one page does not mean 4 pictures overlapping one another on the same page, yep you guessed it I divided the page into 4.....

Honestly if you didn't have a 'daily' crisis of confidence with your own work then there's likely something wrong with you, I'm forever seeing other work and thinking damn, I should be better than I am, you should use it to drive your own skills foward :)

As said about critiques, if we were to take every piece of critique to heart we'd be on suicide watch..

I can't really add, to what has already been said but if it happens again, or if his behaviour that day is not just a one off, have a word with him and tell him the way he is treating/ speaking to you is unacceptable, go over his head and file a report of complaint if needs be. He is failing at his job not only as a teacher but as a professional in any field. Sorry, as a matter of fact, I have just noticed you are still underage, therefore you should also get your parents involved.

There's a saying which I can't remember exactly... basically it says those who can't get into their chosen field end up teaching it. Your teacher sounds like the usual jaded 'art teacher' I had when I went to college before uni, complained about me taking a 'designer' approach when he should have explained it better... 4 pictures on one page does not mean 4 pictures overlapping one another on the same page, yep you guessed it I divided the page into 4.....

Honestly if you didn't have a 'daily' crisis of confidence with your own work then there's likely something wrong with you, I'm forever seeing other work and thinking damn, I should be better than I am, you should use it to drive your own skills foward :)

As said about critiques, if we were to take every piece of critique to heart we'd be on suicide watch..

Haha, yeah he is actually, you're right :p What bugs me is that I do usually produce good work but he doesn't give a shit unless I have excellent process journal entries. Ah well, thanks :)

I can't really add, to what has already been said but if it happens again, or if his behaviour that day is not just a one off, have a word with him and tell him the way he is treating/ speaking to you is unacceptable, go over his head and file a report of complaint if needs be. He is failing at his job not only as a teacher but as a professional in any field. Sorry, as a matter of fact, I have just noticed you are still underage, therefore you should also get your parents involved.

Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is, he already has a long history with being reported/complained about. Two classmates of mine in previous years alone. Just a few more months with him anyway and then I'll never see him again haha! I was just feeling really down because he has been my teacher for 5 years after all, and to hear that shit from him was heartbreaking. Thanks again :)

Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is, he already has a long history with being reported/complained about. Two classmates of mine in previous years alone. Just a few more months with him anyway and then I'll never see him again haha! I was just feeling really down because he has been my teacher for 5 years after all, and to hear that shit from him was heartbreaking. Thanks again :)

There is no excuse, he could have been your teacher for 50 years, although he'd be very old! No teacher, classmate, co-worker, employer or employee should make you feel like that. You wouldn't take it from anyone outside your classroom/ school, or generally in everyday life, so why put up with it from a teacher? The fact that he's been your teacher for 5 years makes it worst, as he's had ample time to get to know you, your character and your personality etc, so if anything it makes his outburst more personal which is a big, big no-no in his profession.

Haha, yeah he is actually, you're right :p What bugs me is that I do usually produce good work but he doesn't give a shit unless I have excellent process journal entries. Ah well, thanks :)
Ah the 'design process' as it was for me at uni, anybody who does art/design for a living can tell you straight away that the process to the end product does not follow the linear approach required by the education system, hell my uni changed the course the year after, iirc, I left because pretty much no one did the process as they went, they just 'filled in the blanks' at the end to satisfy the marking requirement and it had no relevance to how we got to our designs.

Ah the 'design process' as it was for me at uni, anybody who does art/design for a living can tell you straight away that the process to the end product does not follow the linear approach required by the education system, hell my uni changed the course the year after, iirc, I left because pretty much no one did the process as they went, they just 'filled in the blanks' at the end to satisfy the marking requirement and it had no relevance to how we got to our designs.

Exactly. I'm doing Visual Arts in the IB and the process journal requirements are just ridiculous. Plus, 40% of our final grade are based on them... what's the damn point. It's so unrealistic. As a student doing projects in their free time, I never have a process written down/drawn... I just do it lol! I'm happy to hear it's the same for others :p

I'm forever seeing other work and thinking damn, I should be better than I am, you should use it to drive your own skills foward :)

"So Paul, how did you arrive at this sweet-ass D&AD-worthy idea?"

"I didn't, it literally just popped into my head. You know how it is"

"I do, and can totally relate bro, but can't mark you on that shit, so you better stick to the idea you've been struggling with for the past 8 weeks or you'll fail the entire year."

"Great, thanks."

"No worries, enjoy the rest of your design education."

Back