Internal Linking

Tony Hardy

Hi everyone,

I'm a tad confused over internal linking.

I want my homepage to rank for 'Graphic Design Newcastle' and 'Canny Creative' and preferably 'Design Studio Newcastle'.

So in my pages I have written;

Canny Creative is a Graphic Design & Web Design studio based in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England. We thrive on exciting, vibrant and passionate design and that’s exactly what we give our clients.

Would I link Canny Creative to my home page and use the label "Graphic Design Newcastle"? Or would I like Newcastle Upon Tyne?

I also had an SEO blog entry written by a friend of a friend entitled Graphic Design Newcastle and he recommended linking to that, and it's starting to rank in Google, but higher than my homepage.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Tony

I'm confused by a number of things so I'll number them :)
1. Why do you want to rank highly for 'canny creative' - who uses these search terms?
2. Why would you link to someone else's blog entitled 'Graphic Design Newcastle'? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Finally, have you used https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal (check 'Exact Match')?

I'm confused by a number of things so I'll number them :)
1. Why do you want to rank highly for 'canny creative' - who uses these search terms?
2. Why would you link to someone else's blog entitled 'Graphic Design Newcastle'? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Finally, have you used https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal (check 'Exact Match')?

Hi sdesign,
1. I don't want to rank 'highly' as such, there's a company up here called That's Canny Creative, and basically, I just want to come above them.
2. The blog is on my site, they wrote it for me. So I'm linking to that, not an external site, haha :)

Boss,

I've read through all the Google documents before, but that's just refreshed my memory that they exist and are a great resource.

I'll have another read through them!

Basically you just need specific pages within your site that are targetting these words, for example on our website we don't have one page with all the products on, we create pages specifically to target individual products and their associated popular search terms. You then just need to link from other pages within your site/blog from the 'keyword text' you are targetting to said page, also links in from other sites etc will all help.

Look at my signature, you will get the idea as to the words I am targetting, every time I post on here or other forums it is another link in to said page, obviously links in from sites on subject with relevant surrounding text is even better.

Hi Boss,

Yeah I understand the principles of it all. Last night (2am) I was busy kicking myself and decided I'd remove all my internal linking structure because I thought I had it wrong, made a post on here about it etc.

I had the words Canny Creative linked up, and really, that's not ideal. I need the other words linked up like branding, logo design etc, so I'm glad I removed it all.

I also need to find ways of linking my Contact page and About page through my site too.

Do you target each different page with different keywords?

Hi Boss,
Do you target each different page with different keywords?

Yeah but only 1 or 2 of the most popular searched ones, you will find that you will naturally start to rank for long tail keywords in time. For example creating 1 page targetting 20 keywords is impossible, I would say 1 or 2 at the most but I am no expert :icon_smile:

Main thing is to decide on those keywords to target first by checking search volumes.

I think for my home page it really has to be;

Graphic Design Newcastle
Web Design Newcastle

They're high in search volume, I'm based in Newcastle, and outside the general city area, the competition isn't high, but also doesn't get a great volume of search.

So for that page I'm really looking to make my anchor text; graphic design newcastle or web design newcastle... but, getting that into a sentence without it looking spammy is impossible.

Would I also be right in thinking it's best to mix the anchor text for different pages up a bit?

So for my "Graphic Design Services page" I could have different anchors, being;
Graphic Design
Graphic Design Services
Graphic Design Newcastle

Because surely you can't make each anchor exactly the same, it wouldn't look or feel organic to a Googlebot?

Canny Creative should come pretty much top of Google anyway because that's your website URL and also your company name so you shouldn't need to worry about that.

I would optimise your home page for those main terms you want to come up for as a home page normally has the highest page rank.

So maybe have those terms in your meta and links reading 'Graphic Design Newcastle' and ''Design Studio Newcastle' linking to your home page.

Back