In your opinion, what techniques are used to make halftones in this images

Well it's a nintendo game, Kirby, designed by Masahiro Sakurai. It would really depend if it's vector- or raster-based graphics. Or the many other methods of creating video games.

It would depend on the software that was used - unfortunately, there's not a lot more info I can give you.

Funny - I've seen this posted to another forum and other designers with over 30 years experience couldn't figure out how it was actually made.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Funny - I've seen this posted to another forum and other designers with over 30 years experience couldn't figure out how it was actually made.

It's just a shape with a custom halftone pattern inside a clipping mask. OR it's a gradient with an angle applied that has been rasterized, then a halftone effect added, traced, and expanded with specific settings.

In all honesty, assuming illustrator (which I don't use often), it's likely similar to the other technique that Decker is asking about here but instead of using noise/grain they're using color halftone like in the the below video. If you look at the original image up top you'll see all the half toning is at 45 degrees, just like the resulting halftone in the video below. Throw in a color overlay on the halftone and then add another shape/layer for the 'highlight' in the original base colour along with the eyes etc and jobs a good un.

But then again it's entirely possible it was done in another program lol

Last edited:
Back