iMac keeps locking up.

Hippychick

My iMac keeps locking up. After a restart, I get about 40 minutes before the spinning pizza of doom appears, or the cursor still moves around freely but I can’t click between browser windows. It’s like it’s trying to peform a task in the background that I am unaware of. He’s quite an old model in Mac years (2014) but I maintain very well & run CleanMyMac on it regularly.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Have you tried using activity monitor to see what it is 'locking' the system? If not I'd start there.

However if it's every 40 mins that sounds more like a scheduled task or something that takes x amount of minutes before needing to be 'refreshed or moved' (I'm thinking like ram to page/scratch on hard drive/ssd type of thing)

Have you tried using activity monitor to see what it is 'locking' the system? If not I'd start there.

However if it's every 40 mins that sounds more like a scheduled task or something that takes x amount of minutes before needing to be 'refreshed or moved' (I'm thinking like ram to page/scratch on hard drive/ssd type of thing)
Thanks. I've tried a few things such as resetting SMC but I'll give this a go too.

Nothing seems apparent in activity monitor, but I've started putting on sleep mode between uses rather than having the screen saver kick-in cos that seems to freeze, and it's always easy to wake up & not locked up again. It couldn't be something as simple as the screen saver, surely! I had a serious problem with hanging browser windows last year & that's just corrected itself on its own, so this may be just another quirk I need to put up with for a while. Who knows?

It couldn't be something as simple as the screen saver, surely!
You'd be surprised, although it could also be indicative of a 'bigger' issue that's more intermittent.

I'd be looking for some utilities for Hard Drive SMART monitoring or SSD monitoring (not sure what you have) and also RAM checking. Hell it could be the logic board is the issue... oh how I love mac's when it comes to diagnosing issues lol

Back