I'm Comic Sans, Asshole

This shall be my first post here.

I agree with the above poster. Comic Sans shall forever be unanimously hailed as the Satanic Works of Typography by all designers.

Asshole? I have yet to see one of these. (no i haven't seen one in the mirror) Are there donkey, pony and horseholes available for a comparison?

Comic Sans, usually means it's been done in MS Turd.:icon_crying:

Wow, that was so funny. I loved the examples of where it would be used. I'm certainly not a comic sans lover, I don't use it but it doesn't make my blood boil as badly as some other people I know. My tutor at uni basically suggested some guy should leave the course because he used it in a childrens book cover.

Had a flick through the other monologues and I think that's the best. Or are there other gems too?

Comic Sans should be put in a box along with Marker Felt and Papyrus and fired into space, never to return.

An actual quote from a client this morning:

The fonts a bit boring, can we use something different. Hmm, what do we use normally... Comic Sans, yes that’s it. Can we use Comic Sans.

Funnily enough this is the second time I’ve been asked to use it recently and I’m really at a loss how to answer in a professional manner. I may just direct them here ;)

I once designed wedding invites - yes for somebody's wedding day and they insisted on Comic Sans - everyone to their own I suppose, funny article :icon_smile:

I see papyrus everywhere and it makes me die a little bit inside. I've seen it used on two shop signs and in an advert in the local paper just today alone.

When I see fonts like Comic Sans, Papyrus, Impact, or a combination of all 3 plus 5 others used in one place, I instantly think the design was either a DIY job, or was done by someone with has a cracked copy of Photoshop as a favour to their friend.

lmao at this thread!
I just started on a job for a client who while going over typography suggested "...that funny looking font in word, you know, the one that looks like a comic strip or something... COMIC SUNS! THATS IT!"
He is the third this week.
I had to stop myself from setting fire to him...
So what is a good way to tell people that Comic Sans is shit, without saying, "Comic Sans is shit" and sounding very unprofessional??
Thoughts?

Had a flick through the other monologues and I think that's the best. Or are there other gems too?
Thousands of 'em. McSweeney's doesn't just do monologues, though, it's a
literary magazine which pushes the boundaries, so its pieces use all kinds of formats, and not all of them are humorous either, though most at least raise a smile. An Interview with the Genome is another classic, using the interview format. About Our Company is a newish piece, using the company report format.

Silly me, I thought everyone had heard of McSweeney's, it's been around since practically the dawn of the Internet, but it seems that not everyone here gets the joke. Oh well.

I see papyrus everywhere and it makes me die a little bit inside. I've seen it used on two shop signs and in an advert in the local paper just today alone.

When I see fonts like Comic Sans, Papyrus, Impact, or a combination of all 3 plus 5 others used in one place, I instantly think the design was either a DIY job, or was done by someone with has a cracked copy of Photoshop as a favour to their friend.

I'll give you Comic Sans & Papyrus (although there's a place for every font) but Impact?

Not a fan of impact. Sorry, but there's just something about it. I think it's more to do with it being overused on games forum signatures or on Failpics, or Icanhazcheezeburger pictures, than the actual font itself. Either way I avoid using it :)

I get where your coming from I have the same feelings about Gill Sans, just because I worked in a place where one designer used it for everything and imean EVERYTHING, got sick of the sight of it.

And I am soooo bored with helvetica, always try to find an alternative, even if it looks the same!:icon_biggrin:

True, Helvetica is a little 'cliche'. Using it shows you have an understanding of design, but more likely because you read on a design forum that it's a 'design font'.

Personally, I'm loving Andale Mono (except for the weird lowercase 'L') and Futura atm :D

True, Helvetica is a little 'cliche'. Using it shows you have an understanding of design, but more likely because you read on a design forum that it's a 'design font'.

Personally, I'm loving Andale Mono (except for the weird lowercase 'L') and Futura atm :D

Ahh, Futura now you're talking, one of my all time faves together with Palatino if I want a serif font.

@theumut

I think the easiest way to tell a client that comic sans beggars belief and is only used by people who have no idea how fucking shamefull it is and god ugly ( 90% of the population who aren't graphic designers in specific , as programmers etc. have no idea too ) is to A. Tell them to Politely get stuffed i.e. " I''m sorry Sir , Your ideas and input are instrumental to this design project , I have accuquired from you and thus due to your un-sustainable lack of basic industry knowledge , I am forced to re-sign my position with you hence ending any contract we have formally or verbally agreed.

Second option is to send them to a website , offering a £40 design service , in which they will happily give them all the comic sans they want in return for a half assed bodjed job which you will ultimately end up correcting later and costing the client more money in the first place

Is it now a prerequisite for designers to write English as though it were their second language? For heaven's sake!

Back