Do you use illegal software?

• Yes I do

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • No I don't

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have in the past

Votes: 28 44.4%

• Total voters
I reckon you must work for adobe or something.

Got any evidence that it's reduced piracy significantly? You can't pirate CC, but anyone who can't afford the extortionate new rates will likely be using an earlier version.

I don't work for Adobe - I use it everyday and I'm very active on the Adobe user forums.

Have I got any evidence it's reduced piracy?

There's plenty of articles on it here's one: Adobe: 5 Reasons We Killed The Creative Suite | Co.Design | business + design

Everything can be pirated.

The new rates are not extortionate - but yes people do use earlier versions of the software.

I use InDesign CC and Photoshop CS5 and Illustrator CS5.

Nothing wrong with that.

But I have to keep InDesign up to date as that's the program I get most files from.

In fact I own Indesign CS2, CS3, CS3.5, CS4, CS5, CS.5, CS6 and I have a subscription to InDesign CC.

I'm nearly sure it was about £400 to upgrade each version

That's 7 upgrades at £400 = £2800 over about 10 years.

That works out at about £280 a year.

Or £23.30 a month

A paid membership with Adobe for InDesign alone costs £20 per month

I didn't realise you were software developer?

I'm not a builder either, but if I was to hire one of the day you can guarantee he'll try and squeeze as much money out of me as he can. He'll take 6 hours to do a two hour job and of course, how am I to know otherwise, because I'm not a builder?

My old CS3 version is good enough for what I want it to do. I don't need CC. I might invest in a second hand copy of CS6 though, which is also probably illegal... You can't buy earlier versions of it at a reduced rate. I wonder why they did that?

Seriously, how much software development goes into state of the art video games these days and how much do they sell for? You can buy fairly recent games on Steam for next to nothing. Adobe wont sell you previous versions of their creative suite though. Why? Because a lot of people would be inclined to by earlier versions which are just as fit for purpose as the latest ones, and Adobe wouldn't be able to extort as much money out people.

Seriously, how much software development goes into state of the art video games these days and how much do they sell for? You can buy fairly recent games on Steam for next to nothing. Adobe wont sell you previous versions of their creative suite though. Why? Because a lot of people would be inclined to by earlier versions which are just as fit for purpose as the latest ones, and Adobe wouldn't be able to extort as much money out people.

I don't know how much development goes into games?

The last time I bought a game on steam (last year) it cost me £35 and it was actually in the shop for cheaper!

I'm not a builder either, but if I was to hire one of the day you can guarantee he'll try and squeeze as much money out of me as he can. He'll take 6 hours to do a two hour job and of course, how am I to know otherwise, because I'm not a builder?

Jeez - everyone is out to get you!

They don't sell previous versions of their older software because they don't offer support to earlier versions - there comes a saturation point where helping people with products that are very old is just not worth it.

When you buy into CC you get all the updates that come - that includes fixing all the glitches. You're constantly kept up to date with the new features and fixes.

You get a much better service on the software - instead of waiting for a patch - they can now release a patch in much faster time, and in real time.

Mac's lol. Now there's another company who charge too much, and then don't fix things when they stop working after 13 months. Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

This is something I have to agree with, especially with regards to iPhones.

"We have a new version on the way, this one with an S after the name!"
Cue nerd-boner-inducing photograph on screen…
"WOOOOOOHHHHH" *Applause from nerd-crowd*

Yeh I'm not a Mac-addict either.

I do agree their products are overpriced and underwhelming. When someone showed me "Siri" I just shrugged and opened my Android phone and hit the voice search and it did the exact same thing.

Macs were the only thing to do graphic design with back in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's but then PCs pulled there stuff together.

Although Samsung are going down the same route as the iPhones, probably true about HTC.

How much more crap can you add on to the phone to outdo your competitors?

A lot apparently.

Everyone has good and bad experiences with company's customer services. All I can say so far as apple is concerned is they can suck it. I'm never buying anything from them again. I paid 1250 euro for a mac book in 2007, two weeks later it came down to 1000. (can't complain there, it's just bad luck) What I can complain about though is the incessantly noisy fan that has never been resolved since I got it, the noisy ODD, the fact that the original ODD was discovered faulty within 1 year and taken to my local 'genius' centre for repair, which they did. But the screen was also darkening near the bottom due to the incessant fan and they supposedly looked at it thoroughly, diagnosed the problem and fixed it, ie. they replaced my off the shelf new screen with one of their used ones, which then developed a fault about 1 year after that and became intermittently blank, eventually the back light or something stopped altogether forcing me to buy an ext monitor and preventing me from reinstalling or updating the software ever again. Then there was the issue with the bluetooth mouse not working properly, and the know-it-all techie guy in the shop who wouldn't listen to me and was extremely rude, and so on. I should have been given a new one as I was clearly sold a computer that was faulty at manufacture, in several ways.

Love your macs all you want, but I personally hate them. Me love Sony and Windows 7.

Reposted with additional comments I wasn't given time to edit (5 minutes editing time???)

Everyone has good and bad experiences with company's customer services. All I can say so far as apple is concerned is they can suck it. I'm never buying anything from them again. I paid 1250 euro for a mac book in 2007, two weeks later it came down to 1000. (can't complain there, it's just bad luck) What I can complain about though is the incessantly noisy fan that has never been resolved since I got it, the noisy ODD, the fact that the original ODD was discovered faulty within 1 year and taken to my local 'genius' centre for repair, which they did. But the screen was also darkening near the bottom due to the incessant fan and they supposedly looked at it thoroughly, diagnosed the problem and fixed it, ie. they replaced my off the shelf new screen with one of their used ones, which then developed a fault about 1 year after that and became intermittently blank, eventually the back light or something stopped altogether forcing me to buy an ext monitor and preventing me from reinstalling or updating the software ever again. Then there was the issue with the bluetooth mouse not working properly, and the know-it-all techie guy in the shop who wouldn't listen to me and was extremely rude, and so on. I should have been given a new one as I was clearly sold a computer that was faulty at manufacture, in several ways.

Then there's the iPod Classic that occasionally likes to forget all the music on it when I'm on long trips. And the iTunes 128kbps tracks that they upgraded eventually to 256kbps DRM free and then asked their customers for money for the higher quality.

Love your macs all you want, but I personally hate them. Me love Sony and Windows 7.

Jesus man do you have to nitpick at everything? I know he was agreeing with me!

It genuinely didn't sound like you knew he was agreeing with you.

It wasn't nitpicking.

You literally said "Love your macs all you want..."

How else is that supposed to be interpreted?

It genuinely didn't sound like you knew he was agreeing with you.

It wasn't nitpicking.

You literally said "Love your macs all you want..."

How else is that supposed to be interpreted?

It was a general statement aimed generally at people who love their macs in general. Is that clear enough for you? I'm done with this.

I understand that it's agitating. But does an artist go out and steal their canvas and art supplies? Or ask to pay for less simply because they are only starting out?

Yeh if you enjoy working with Adobe apps you pay for them. It wasn't a good business model to allow people to buy the software outright. This really opened the door to piracy.

Now the business model has made it cheaper for the individual on a yearly basis. And it's reduced piracy.

Yeh - you have to pay per App or for a yearly subscription.

But I don't go to a gym for free - I go either on pay as you go scheme or a yearly membership.

I pay for public transport, on a pay as you go scheme or as a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket.

I really don't understand why people are opposed to paying for a service.

If you really love it - then you have to come up with the cash to pay for it.

It's a really simple model - and there's different payment options.

Yes, again I'm not disagreeing with you but although stealing is stealing (there's no two ways about it), there is a huge difference in using illegal software and an artist physically going into an art store and stealing their canvas and art supplies. While the result is the same, you are far less likely to find an artist stealing from a store, for obvious reasons. And no, they would not ask to pay less, the logical thing to do would be to go elsewhere, search online, basically do whatever is necessary to find their required supplies at a reasonable fee that is affordable to them.

I believe it has only reduced piracy temporally due to the public not being aware of ways around it. As I said before, I much prefer buying any product outright knowing I have paid the full price and don't have continual monthly/yearly payments to worry about. If not I would pay monthly for my TV, my Mac, my phone, a car etc etc. I am a fairly patient person that likes to be able to save up and once I can afford the 'said' product, pay for it in full. I have bills, rent, NI etc to pay monthly, I do not wish to add to that. The less monthly payments coming out of my account the better in my eyes. Even with my first car, I saved up for several months and bought it outright.

Gyms are irrelevant as they are luxuries. Public transport is ridiculously overpriced, but they are a necessity so there's nothing that can be done about that.

People aren't opposed to paying for a service, well I certainly aren't, I am more than happy to pay for necessary quality. It simply goes back to the individuals affordability.

Mac's lol. Now there's another company who charge too much, and then don't fix things when they stop working after 13 months. Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Yes the tables have turned. Not too long ago PC's were charging the earth and Macs were reasonably priced. I have always owned PC's up until March this year when I bought my first iMac. Was it expensive? Yes! Did I pay full price? Nope, I got a few hundred pounds off the total fee - this was much more affordable for me.

I find all laptops in general do not have a very good lifespan. That's why I have never owned one myself.

So far I am extremely pleased and impressed with my iMac and I finally understand why everyone was telling me that if I am a designer I should really be using a Mac, as it makes life a lot easier. It is totally true. Also I don't have to worry about things like virus' and reduction in speed and performance etc. I believe my Mac will last me a good 10 years before I'll need an upgrade. In my experience, I could never say that about a PC.

If not I would pay monthly for my TV, my Mac, my phone, a car etc etc.

Well you do pay yearly for a TV license, and you don't necessarily pay per month or per year with a Mac, but they have small paid updates every now and then.

Your phone is either contract or pay as you go, either way it's another pay as you use system.

Same with the car - petrol/diesel isn't free, car tax, maintenance of the car (tires, engine, upholstery, etc.)

Well you do pay yearly for a TV license, and you don't necessarily pay per month or per year with a Mac, but they have small paid updates every now and then.

Your phone is either contract or pay as you go, either way it's another pay as you use system.

Same with the car - petrol/diesel isn't free, car tax, maintenance of the car (tires, engine, upholstery, etc.)

lol :icon_clapping: Yes, but the point I am trying to make here is that, I would rather not pay monthly for things I do not need to. I haven't owned a car for years.

Yes the tables have turned. Not too long ago PC's were charging the earth and Macs were reasonably priced. I have always owned PC's up until March this year when I bought my first iMac. Was it expensive? Yes! Did I pay full price? Nope, I got a few hundred pounds off the total fee - this was much more affordable for me.

I think if you spent the same amount of money on a PC and with some research you would have found a PC that did the same at a lower cost.

I certainly did. But it's a moot point, if you like a good computer you pay a lot of money for them.

I never buy off the shelf laptops, mine are custom built and are better than anything I could ever buy from a retailer.

I find all laptops in general do not have a very good lifespan. That's why I have never owned one myself.

I have a laptop for the past 10 years that runs Windows Vista and I have InDesign CC and a few other programs on it and it's pretty quick to this day.

So far I am extremely pleased and impressed with my iMac and I finally understand why everyone was telling me that if I am a designer I should really be using a Mac, as it makes life a lot easier. It is totally true. Also I don't have to worry about things like virus' and reduction in speed and performance etc.

I'm sure it has nifty things in it - like Spaces and other things, like gestures to make things a bit faster, but ultimately - I don't know what you're referring to.

Again, I've a 10 year old laptop, and I've a 5 year old laptop - both with Basic Free AVG running on them and neither of them has ever gotten a virus.

I believe my Mac will last me a good 10 years before I'll need an upgrade. In my experience, I could never say that about a PC.

Yes when I spent a lot of money on my two laptops I envisaged they would last 10 years or more!

I'm pretty happy with them.

lol :icon_clapping: Yes, but the point I am trying to make here is that, I would rather not pay monthly for things I do not need to. I haven't owned a car for years.

I haven't owned a car or a TV for years!

Definitely if you don't need Adobe CC subscription model then don't buy it.

Everyone has that choice.

Buy CS6 or CS5 and be done with it.

Back