I need a Logo!

I don't know if my portfolio is or isn't up to scratch, I always hope it is and I'm always updating it and fiddling with it in the hopes of making it better. I don't want to come across as an amature either! I spent a long time applying for jobs without including samples, then I tried by including examples in general and then job specific examples in the hopes of finding some kind of formula or technique that would work. Thusly all I seem to be getting is "we like your work but you're just not right..." "unfortunately we're not looking for anyone right now" "It's just not our style." etc etc etc.

*bangs head on desk*

I had a look at the pictures you uploaded to this site on your profile and part of your problem is that compared to the industry professionals in illustration you are a long way off the pace at the moment. Obviously you are starting out and no one is expecting you to to be perfect right away. If you haven't already make an account on CGHub or CGsociety or even conceptart.org (though they are less newbie/none pro friendly) They will help you improve as an artist and your logos will subsequently improve.

Your work also has odd pixelated lines, are you using ms paint? Because if you are serious about doing freelance work you need to invest in a program that will allow you to do vector graphics like Illustrator or Photoshop which will give you a much better finish. If you give me a link to your portfolio will have a look at it and see if can see where you can improve it :)

The problem is also that it is so easy to be able to call yourself a graphic designer these days. All you need is a computer with a paint programme on it. It takes many years to be able to establish yourself. I've been involved in design and prepress for over 17 years now since leaving school and I am NOWHERE NEAR being an 'established' designer.

When work is given away for free and to a poor standard (no names) the clients / customers who want work from us think we are all producing the same quality of work. With all due respect, after seeing this type of effort how can we blame them for expecting us to charge so little?

Hi all,

I will give feedback to everyone here as it will take me a long time to email back everyone or pm them. Thanks for the fantastic response.

I'm a pretty good designer myself, but have been working hard on the website for the last 6 months or so and simply cannot produce a logo I am happy with. I want the logo to look really really good. But I'm just not feeling anything I've managed to produce myself. Thats why I asked for some basic concepts if possible, I dont want to pay someone a few hundread pounds only to find that they put together something that I may not like or may not even be of the standard I am able to design to...

I understand not all designers will have the time to do this, which I fully respect - its just that I would want to know a designer was on the same page as me before I agree to pay them money and with people willing to do initial basic concepts, I feel this is the best way for me to work personally. But to those of you that did forward some work, I really appreciate your time and effort :icon_smile:

For everyone that I have contacted back, I will basically pay upto £100 - the best combination of price and design or price and idea / concept [providing portfolio is strong] will get my business.

Would also like to say that there is a good chance of repeat business, I worked with another designer for about 2 years before and regularly needed him for smaller jobs that I paid for all the time to save me time. Aswell as a logo design I am also looking to establish a future business relationship with someone on the same creative wavelength as myself.

suzy@cystem

I really like the designs on your website Suzy. I just think that the design style in your portfolio is better suited to a different type of business than FromThatShop.

nataliagj23

The designs in your portfolio are excellent. I have emailed you and hope we can maybe do business.

mmi09

I really like your concept designs, my only concern is that they are images copied from google with my From That Shop written on them. I have emailed you as I really like the concept and depending on price would like to go further with you. :icon_smile:

sabo

Very nice logos in your portfolio. Your just a tad bit out of my price range. :icon_smile:

Nicola

Hi Nicola, although the design work in your portfolio looked good. There were hardly any logos on the website. I would be reluctant to pay £250 for a logo when I can't see any of your past designs.

av:creative

Theres not too much work on your website but I love the fact that you've taken an interest in the products and website. Have sent you a pm mate - interested to know what your ideas are...

james.walters

Your portfolio is exceptional and I would hire you in a heart beat! Unfortunately though, you are MASSIVELY out of my price range. I understand you get what you pay for and you are obviously very very very good at what you do. Best of luck in the future

chris_17

Your website and portfolio is down mate. Have sent you a pm.

OutTheBox

You are right up my street mate. Havent seen any of your work, but the way you do things is very logical and business friendly. Email sent

Google Images were used to show the logo concept, which I think you understood and I have sent a PM about it .

Hi FromThatShopBloke,

I wonder if you could send me some free stuff? I dont want to pay someone money only to find that what they're selling isn't really what I want.

Its just that I would want to know a shop was on the same page as me before I agree to pay them money - I feel this is the best way for me to work personally. Obviously if I don't like what you send me I'll be keeping it anyway, but you'll understand if I don't pay you anything for it right?

Thanks for your time.

I respect your sarcasm but if people are willing to work in this way and its beneficial to my business, it would be a waste not to drive this way of working.

I understand you don't agree with it but we are all trying to succeed in our own ways.

Thanks a lot.

Of course it's beneficial to your business in your eyes - you're getting something for nothing. How many other services that you use would you ask for free samples? Pretty much none. All you're doing is devaluing design as a skill.

The other problem with this way of working is that if people are just 'knocking up' a quick idea of what they might do for you, that bears no resemblance to a properly designed properly thought out logo. The stuff in people's portfolios is the best work they can do, given time and a proper brief. The quick ideas they've done for you aren't. So why would you judge them on it?

If you were more flexible to business needs you may not have to be posting on an internet message board looking for work.

Just a thought...

I find that sentence rather insulting. Every artist and designer here is making full use of the tools available to them in order to get work in what is a very competitive business, would you expect to get any people to your website without being on google or advertising in every free place you could think of. I think not.

I had considered applying for this logo job and now i'm glad I didn't, the fact you feel you can look down on us for advertising ourselves for work makes me think I rather wouldn't like to work for you. I suggest you read this

I think its rather rude giving individual designers folio feedback here in the open on the forum, regardless of whether their work is good or not. If someone submits work on here for a critique, thats fine, their choice. However, most of the people would have replied to your post and PM'd you in confidence, so you could have at least shown a bit of respect and told them what you thought of ther folio's to them and not everyone. Just because their work isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it won't be anyone elses.

If you were more flexible to business needs you may not have to be posting on an internet message board looking for work.

Just a thought...

:icon_clapping:

As a design forum that is mainly used by designers I'd suggest it is more for discussion and advice than looking for work, keeping up to date and becoming better.

Take your insulting comments elsewhere.

You'll notice I didn't actually apply for your job.

I kind of thought it would go this way from how you originally worded the brief. I generally come on here to try and help out young designers just starting out. And that's why people like you make me angry, cos you ain't helping them one bit. Pity the fool who takes this job.

:icon_clapping:

As a design forum that is mainly used by designers I'd suggest it is more for discussion and advice than looking for work, keeping up to date and becoming better.

Take your insulting comments elsewhere.

100% agree with this comment. Many designers on here are helping graduates / young, inexperienced designers help and assistance to start a career in a VERY competitive market. I found your comments extremely insulting and to be completely honest, I would not have even considered sending you anything because you are obviously looking for work on the cheap.

You say you are doing it because you can, but it's also our choice not to submit our ideas. That's why you aren't happy with what you have so far received, because the work you have seen is mainly submitted by inexperienced designers and graduates that you are trying to take advantage of.

When you eventually offer the kind of work that would get us up in the morning then let us know. Until then, don't be surprised to be underwhelmed by the quality of work you get submitted.

james.walters

Your portfolio is exceptional and I would hire you in a heart beat! Unfortunately though, you are MASSIVELY out of my price range. I understand you get what you pay for and you are obviously very very very good at what you do. Best of luck in the future

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and appreaciate and totally understand your needs. Feel free to contact me if you require any large amount of work done.

Take care now!

Yup that's true.

There's every possibility he's nicked my idea and ripped me off. But honest to god what can a guy do, I spend my days bidding for work on every freelance type site I can lay my hands on. Over and over again pitching for jobs amongst tens of hundreds of other artists desperately selling themselves out and uncutting each other in the hopes of maybe, MAYBE, one day, having someone turn round and actually HIRE you.

Sigh....

It's more than a little disheartening to say the least. Every day you have to pick yourself up again and think maybe if I trimmed a little off my quotes, maybe if I included a free sample...maybe, maybe, maybe...

But still nothing. Not a damn thing.
You're right and everyone else is wrong. This game is now a case of the "last prostitute standing" and if we're all low rent prostitutes now then make sure the last one is you.

And don't apologise, the free pitch argument has raged for decades and winning work is so hard now you've got to do all that you can.

You get my vote.

My twopenneth

I've followed this thread with interest being new to the site and didn't bother to offer my services for my own personal reasons, but I never do speculative work, because it is working for nothing and frankly I'd rather spend that time in the garden or taking my dogs for a walk.

When I take on a new brief, generally I've either got it through word of mouth or by someone having seen past work, therefore I don't give choices. It was the one thing I promised myself when I established my own practice. Having worked for studios where the industry standard of three choices were given, I saw so many great ideas watered down with bits taken from each, I thought not for me.

As designers it is our job to know what our best ideas are and have the courage of our convictions, we know that sometimes we could produce ten good ideas that would answer the brief, so why muddy the waters.

I say at the outset, 'I will present you with one idea, if you don't like that idea. tell me why, I'll analyse the comments and come back with a completely fresh idea', and I can tell you with my hand on my heart, in the 25 odd years that I've used this approach over numerous projects, it has only failed a couple of times and in those cases I threw the towel in because I didn't think I could work with the client. Also in the successful presentations, the jobs went through with little or no modifications.

I designed the 'Old Speckled Hen' logo and bottle label around twenty years ago and since then it's had some very minor mods to the typeface used, descriptive wording and it is a cut out octagonal label now (which is what I wanted originally, but the labelling machines couldn't cope at the time) but essentially it is still the same label I designed, which just shows that one good idea is worth more three mediocre ones.

Some much needed advice

I would urge any designer, new or otherwise to not work with this client. You will simply spend years working for a below acceptable hourly rate, and this will not help your aim for long term success as a freelancer.

I recommend that no designer bids at freelance websites either - this is also just another way to work long hard hours for pennies.

I have compiled some advice on my blog about how to gain projects as a designer in a way that will ensure you are well paid for your skills:

Truly Ace Graphic Design Blog

I've been full time freelancing for over 8yrs now, and I do not work for pennies and I do not work for free. Neither should any of you if you have an ounce of sense.

Amanda

Gaining clients

Quick extra note, I know the marketing advice seems flimsy, but it really does work - you simply need to be relentlessly business networking at the same time as relentlessly pushing your website up the search engines via search engine marketing.

If you have design skills of a professional standard, really is as simple as that.

Amanda

I'm with Amanda on this one!

Well said Amanda - good principles to work to - just going to have a look at your blog.

Had a look at the blog - good sound advice on there!

Last edited:
Back