How to turn an internship into a full/part time position?

Shaugnessy

Hi,

Has anyone done this? I am currently doing an internship at a pretty large college and it ends in less than 2 months time.

I love the projects and I'd really like to stay there but it's tricky as loads of people are being laid off and it could be the wrong time to be creating a position (in the eyes of the heads there, I'm guessing). I am pretty much doing projects on my own and I can't believe that they didn't have anyone there before. Even tho there's an outside agency doing the big projects for them, there are people coming to me every day, wanting logos, leaflets, flyers. There is so much to do, I am ending up working from home in order to finish all the projects. But that is probably normal...

I *think* that my boss would like to keep me there but it's not up to him and I've asked if they could give me some kind of indication of their intentions as I have kids in childcare/school and it's been tricky doing unpaid internship and having the pay the costs (they do pay for some expenses).

I was thinking of doing a big poster with all the projects I've done so far and present it to the big wigs...

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do? This job is perfect (apart from the pay thing :icon_frown:)

Your advice'd be much appreciated.
Thank you and sorry, I am a newby and already being needy :icon_smile:

Last edited:
If you have so many people coming to you for day to day stuff then I suggest you ask each person to write a letter of recommendation that you stay on.

Make it like a petition where individuals can comment.

You can then present a copy to your boss and to the head of the department(s) that require it.

If they see a demand from lots of people and good recommendations - then that might sway them.

If you have so many people coming to you for day to day stuff then I suggest you ask each person to write a letter of recommendation that you stay on.

Make it like a petition where individuals can comment.

You can then present a copy to your boss and to the head of the department(s) that require it.

If they see a demand from lots of people and good recommendations - then that might sway them.

Great suggestion, someone did mention that as they were surprised that I was "just" an intern! I will do that, all of those people would have ongoing projects that I could be doing.
Thanks!

Back