How to get artwork to 5MB or less?

Hello!

I've been trying to apply for a Graphic Design Uni course, and I have to submit 8-10 recent pieces of work. The work I send can be no more than 5MB each, but some of my pieces are A3. What's the best way to get them to a lower MB without ruining the quality?

I've tried the obvious; i.e changing the size to A4 and A5 but they're still above the MB allowence. This sort of thing just baffles me!

(Sorry if this isn't posted in the right section, I wasn't sure)

Thanks in advance :)

Lower dpi, use web compression and/or jpeg etc.... basically treat it how you'd adapt it for the web.

Just did a quick test with a 10,000 x 5,600px 300 dpi image and exported to jpeg in high quality (one step down) in affinity and it came in at 3.5MB...... obviously it might vary with content but that's a 56 Megapixel image coming in under 5MB.

Lower dpi, use web compression and/or jpeg etc.... basically treat it how you'd adapt it for the web.

Just did a quick test with a 10,000 x 5,600px 300 dpi image and exported to jpeg in high quality (one step down) in affinity and it came in at 3.5MB...... obviously it might vary with content but that's a 56 Megapixel image coming in under 5MB.
Thank you!
Can I do all that, and keep the size at A3 then?
They're all saved as PNG's, do jpegs use less MBs?

Thank you!
Can I do all that, and keep the size at A3 then?
They're all saved as PNG's, do jpegs use less MBs?
Yes you can keep them at A3, keep the dimensions (mm) at a3 and then just adjust the dpi for the sheet, if needed. You may get away with just compressing to high like I did above.

PNG/JPEG really depends on the imagery but JPEG usually compresses a little better.

Why do you need to keep them at A3? You're not printing them out are you?

If it's for viewing on-screen then you can reduce the PPI down to 120ppi.

Can you let us know exactly what way these will be viewed?

Why do you need to keep them at A3? You're not printing them out are you?

If it's for viewing on-screen then you can reduce the PPI down to 120ppi.

Can you let us know exactly what way these will be viewed?
No, I'm not printing them out! And I'm assuming they won't be printed out once they're sent either; I think the people in charge of delivering the course will probably just view them on screen.

I suppose I don't HAVE to keep them at A3, I just didn't want any of the quality to be lost by making them any smaller.

I'll try the tips mentioned above first, thank you!

Back