Help Needed - Pantone Problem

Jimlad

So I'm designing stuff, as you do, and my company has some new branding to work with, which is nice. Included in this is a bunch of new colours, one primary and a range of secondary & tertiary ones.

Been using RGB values for screen stuff, no issue. Using CMYK values for some printed mugs gave some pale results in the proof... so we're looking at using the Pantones.

With suffixes like XGC, TCX and TPG... how the hell do I find/use these in Illustrator when they don't look like they're in the included pantone libraries? Do I really have to buy the Pantone Colour Manager to gain access to these colours?

Thanks in advance.

Head for the Pantone+ Solid Coated

For a true reflection of colours you should have a Pantone Solid Coated book in the office, this will have a swatch on paper to show how it prints.

Pantone colours are not replicatable in CMYK - so you will probably get some colour shift - but a Pantone reference would help especially in mugs - as they can print 1 colour/2colour/3 colour etc, or in CMYK. But again, it's a good colour reference and they can match as close as possible.

I usually do use Solid Coated. But the pantone references I have don't appear when I search.
2347 XGC
19-1102 TPG
18-4043 TCX
563 XGC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 17.24.31.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 17.24.31.png
    23 KB · Views: 1
XGC is Extended Gamut Colour - for 7 colour process.
TPG is for fashion, home interior - usually supplied in sheets, somethingn do with textile
TCX is Textile/Cotton extended

I think 2347 XGC is the same in Pantone Solid Coated - it should be 2347

19-1102 TPG - closest would be pantone black 7c

18-4043 TCX would closest be 7683 C

563 XGC is 563 Solid coated

You won't get an exact match though.

You should be able to download the swatches for them if you have a pantone book - there's a page in them to register your product.

ANY pantone book? We don't have one (not a design firm) so if it costs less than the software that could be useful.

Thanks @hankscorpio that's a really helpful tool. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to include Pantone+ Solid Coated but Pantone+ CMYK Coated could work.

Thanks @hankscorpio that's a really helpful tool. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to include Pantone+ Solid Coated but Pantone+ CMYK Coated could work.

I think there is a bit of a change - you can look at the Colour Bridge Coated for that set, it's down as xxxCP but it's relatively the same - I think.

I wouldn't go with Pantone+ CMYK Coated as it's a different set altogether.

Back