Help: advice on drawing tablet without using a pc

pepo

Hello everyone,

I was used to do graffiti back in the '90s. Now I want to re-start drawing, but using a tablet. Can you please please please recommend me a tablet, which can be used also without a laptop?
I have looked at Wacome One and Cintiq, but they both need to be connected to a laptop. I would like to use the tablet wherever I go (train, park etc)...

I am not Picasso, therefore, I need an average one, which has nevertheless a decent quality.

Budget: max 400 Euros

Thanks in advance for your kind support,
Pepo

I was used to do graffiti back in the '90s

LOL! Same here! ;)

Only had experience of a few tablets.
Wacom Intuos and Bamboo are great but as you say they work in tandem with a computer and that hand, eye, screen thing can take some getting used to.
Especially for free handing.

Tried a Cintiq but again they need a computer and I didn't like them at all.

iPad + Apple Pencil are AMAZING!
Totally blew me away how good they are.

I was using it with Procreate (About £10) and the full version of Affinity Designer runs on them too at about £20.
Both have lots of brush packs and I'm sure they do some rattle-can and marker ones too.
The Apple Pencil 1 works with the standard iPad from 2018 onwards.

You should be able to get new iPad 128GB + pencil for just over your budget but I think it'd be well worth it.
I'm considering getting both and trying to ditch Illustrator for Affinity.

I can't comment on other tablets because that's all I've tried but I was very impressed.

I was reading other posts and seems many people are heading towards ipad air with apple pencil....I am getting so crazy about it that I think I wil lbuy it tomorrow itself!!!!

Thanks for the advice!

With the 400 euro budget and the requirement of it being 'self contained' you are literally stuck with iPad and pencil as the 'only option'.

You've got android tablets with stylus at similar prices but apple is better supported software wise so wouldn't bother looking there out of the two... anything else is basically above your budget.

Thanks. for the reply. I don't want to invest too much as the risk is that I won't keep my commitments and stop using it. Hence this is why I want to spend as little as possible, still having decent quality.

Shall I therefore go with ipad air with i-pen? how many gb and which program shall I use?

I was considering the regular iPad with 128GB but not really looked at the iPad Air.

Considering the drawing app's for the iPad, I recon it may be the best option considering what else is around.
Thing it with the iPad + Pencil, there's LOADS more you can do with them apart from sketching and drawing and they hold their value well in the second hand market just incase you don't get on with it. Especially if it still has warranty on it.

I was considering the regular iPad with 128GB but not really looked at the iPad Air.

Considering the drawing app's for the iPad, I recon it may be the best option considering what else is around.
Thing it with the iPad + Pencil, there's LOADS more you can do with them apart from sketching and drawing and they hold their value well in the second hand market just incase you don't get on with it. Especially if it still has warranty on it.

What's the difference, from a drawing perspective, between the air ipad and the normal one? thanks

What's the difference, from a drawing perspective, between the air ipad and the normal one? thanks
Off the top of my head....the type of screen is different, the air screen is slightly 'thinner' (less/no air gap between glass and panel) so the pen is closer to the screen, processor is better in the air too.

I see however that drawing on a normal ipad is very uncomfortable as it is too short the 10.5 inches. I saw the 12.5 but it costs over 1000 euros...Any suggestions to overcome this problem?
Alternative 12.5 tablets to suggest?

I see however that drawing on a normal ipad is very uncomfortable as it is too short the 10.5 inches. I saw the 12.5 but it costs over 1000 euros...Any suggestions to overcome this problem?
Alternative 12.5 tablets to suggest?
Not unless you're willing to pay more....

I bought a iPad Pro 2017 10.5 inch for drawing on and the size is fine to draw on, I’m not sure I’d want the 12.5 because of the weight. This one is heavy enough, but I don’t tend to draw on a table so lighter is better for me. To save money I bought a “Refurb” from PC World. I say refurb because I used to work for them so I knew it would just be a customer return where they didn’t like it. PC World don’t repair any refurbs the only thing they will do it factory reset.

Anyway I’ve has it several months and it’s been fine so far. Maybe have a look for refurbs if you want some cheaper, Apple have some refurbished iPads on their site too: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refur...cid=aos-uk-kwgo-brand-h17-slid--bran-product-

Back