Graphic Design Prices?

Hey everyone i'm fairly new to Graphic Design and have been making avatars and banners for you tube. I have had a few people ask for some designs and i sent them a avatar for free, I want to make Graphic Design my career and was wondering how much should i charge? I have made a picture that everyone can see: Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Pictures, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Images, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Photos, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Are these prices fair or a bit out there?

Hey everyone i'm fairly new to Graphic Design and have been making avatars and banners for you tube. I have had a few people ask for some designs and i sent them a avatar for free, I want to make Graphic Design my career and was wondering how much should i charge? I have made a picture that everyone can see: Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Pictures, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Images, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Photos, Ultimate GFX Designs Prices Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Are these prices fair or a bit out there?

1 - stop making avatars and banners - it's not a business venture - any chump with GIMP (software) can make a banner or avatar.

2 - making things for youtube is something most serious graphic designers do not do.

3 - don't work for free - ever, that includes spec work FAQ about spec work | NO!SPEC

4 - charging is based on supply and demand. Unfortunately in the world of avatars and banners for youtube, there is a lot of supply and a bit of demand. That basically means if you start charging for the supply of your goods (avatars and banners) you will find your customers will go to someone else who is willing to do it for free (see no. 3 above). Basically what you have is a non-chargeable business.

5. There's pretty much a lot of info out there regards pricing - but go with what you feel is fair - how much is your time worth per hour - and how many hours will you spend on it?
This is probably a book you should invest in - https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/handbook (and I say "invest" because it's not an expenditure, this will literally make your money back if you follow it).

6. Making a picture that everyone can see is common in graphic design. However, what avatars and banners like these usually are considered art.

Why are they considered art? Well - art is subjective, meaning it means something different to each person.

Graphic design isn't art - it's a manner in which the same message is delivered universally the person viewing it - meaning it should always have the same connotation to each person.

You'll do well if you stick at it - but Photoshop and GIMP aren't the be-all-and-end-all of Graphic Design.

What area of graphic design are you looking to enter into?

Print Design, Web Design, UI/UX design, typesetting, publishing apps (writing code etc)????

I am not usually one to be negative and say 'no you can't do this' to someone, but it is just not possible to make a 'career' out of what you currently do. You will be lucky to make pocket money from it. You say you are fairly new to graphic design and judging by that image, it shows. I think you have a long way to go and need to study and learn graphic design before you start thinking about a career in it. Serious graphic designers just don't do what you do. You need to broaden your horizons and build on your knowledge of the subject.

The best thing I ever did when I developed an interest in graphic design was to book myself on a 6 month Desktop Publishing Course.

Bit of background.

I went straight out of school into a screen printing factory. Originally cutting materials for football jerseys, and other sports, tracksuits etc. They needed someone to cover in the printing area as an assistant over the summer, at 17 I started working in the printing factory. I did well there and they decided to keep me there. I worked there until I was 20 years of age. At the end I was printing everything from 1 colour flock transfer to 10 colour flock transfer, plastisols, die sublimations and making screens etc. I was very interested in working in the art room as I am an avid fan of computers and gadgets, don't get me wrong the printing machines were frigign' awesome!

Anyway after empty promises of getting me some experience in the art room I saw a 6 month introductory course to Desktop Publishing.

I took it - and found a part time job for the evenings and the weekends.

Basically 9 - 5 in a college, and 6-12 during the week working (security mind you :) ) At the weekends I'd work 8 in the morning until 8 in the evening.

After 6 months on the course and passing all my exams etc. got a certificate from a reputable state training recognised etc.

I found a job offer for an apprentice prepress operator (actually technically called an "Originator").

8-4 working full time. Then block release to college for 6 months. For 4 years. The last 2 years was block release for 3 months.

I knew I was home.

Back