Graphic Design Job Interviews

giaph

Hi all,

I've had a couple of negative experiences with job vacancies recently and I would like to hear if there are more people in the same position to seek advice from.

I am a London based graphic designer looking for a new job for the past year. I have lots of experience and I get invited to interviews, first ones and often second ones with a design task in the middle. For the latest two vacancies, nobody was offered the role.

This leaves me wondering, what are employers looking for? I believe graphic design roles in London are very competitive, how come nobody gets an offer and I see the same ad online after I had two (and most recently, three) interviews with a company?

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to spot (and avoid) these companies. Any advice would be very much appreciated. A good rant is very well welcomed too!

Many thanks,
Gia

Cynic in me says that the interviews are a, imo unhanded, way to get creative ideas done for free... think crowdsourcing.

Yes - beware of the 'work an assignment' as part of the interview process.
I never do that with new hires - it's purely off initial CV + Portfolio, then round 1 interview, then round 2 interview.
Round 3 if necessary.

You should be able to discern if a person is capable with this process.
If it was an option to have them work an assignment I'd be offering monetary contribution to the interview stage, a couple of hundred at least.
But I'd need to be on the fence completely.

Thanks for your replies. I had three interviews and two design tasks with the same company recently. I should have denied working more on this application now I think about it!

I wouldn't turn down the chance to interview. Just be aware that some use it as a way of getting some ideas.

Years and years and years ago I applied for a job at a place I was desperate to get into.
I was told it was between me and someone else and to come in for half a day to work on a small job to see how I got on.

I did this - did very well, was more than able. But they gave it to the other person.

About 4 weeks later I got a call that the other person hadn't worked out and that if I was still interested.
I promptly said 'no way'!

I wouldn't turn down the chance to interview. Just be aware that some use it as a way of getting some ideas.

Years and years and years ago I applied for a job at a place I was desperate to get into.
I was told it was between me and someone else and to come in for half a day to work on a small job to see how I got on.

I did this - did very well, was more than able. But they gave it to the other person.

About 4 weeks later I got a call that the other person hadn't worked out and that if I was still interested.
I promptly said 'no way'!
It's good to know and be prepared for the next interview, thank you!

Why did you say no to that role?

Back