grades

Esh

Hi,

This is for people who have been through the university system, in art & design subjects.
On going for jobs, have you found yourselves being asked about what grades you've got?

I'm asking because I got a lower second (I was more of a social butterfly than studious student Lol), and spent a long time worrying about whether this would hold me back. I resorted to leaving the grade off my CV but still, have never been asked about it, whether going for jobs in design or elsewhere!

I have friends with the whole range of class from 1st to 3rd, and it seems the grade is unimportant. Although it can be a positive thing for the graduates, I guess it's quite disappointing knowing that one can put in a lot of effort aiming for a good grade, and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference!

Anyone else experienced this?

I've never been asked what grade i got, people seem happy that you have a degree and the portfolio to really show what you can do.

If you got a Geoff, then by all means shout about it; if you got a Douglas, wait until you're asked.

I'm with you Dave!
There is the general thought that someone with a high grade will be creating work that is of a better standard and potentially have a better set of skills, ways of thinking etc. which will make them a better candidate/employee.
BUT...there are of course many reasons why great work doesn't get recognised and is marked low in comparison to the work that does get marked high. (I'm not going in to that!)
In which case, a strong portfolio will be more than enough of a 'way in' to a company, as is your personality and general 'fit' in the company as opposed to being chosen by grade alone.

There are no guarantees in this world and there's a lot of luck, hard work and fate required to get you where you want.

Don't NOT bother with working hard at your degree whatever you do...! Be the best you can.

I did get a Geoff!

Paul

Furthermore, my degree experience (in a creative discipline but not GD) tells me that the higher marks can often go to projects that fail as a piece in their own right but which give the candidate an opportunity to offer a theoretical analysis of that failure. I don't know if this stacks up in terms of the structure of a design degree but I am aware that there can be a world of difference between academic achievement and skills as a practitioner.

Back