Freelance Help

nigpay1

I'm currently working as an in-house graphic designer for a football club. I've been approached a few times to do small jobs (a few hundred quid each) but I'm not registered as self-employed.

Do I need to bother doing this or can I get away with it?

If I can get away with it what do you do about invoicing etc..

cheers

You can get away with it until Inland Revenue catch you out :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, if you have a few of these jobs then you should get in touch with IR and register as self employed, I know it is a hassle filing a tax return however this is better than a fine.

Obviously you are free to do as you please, you may get away with it accepting cash payments only....for a while!

I used to work for the dreaded IR and you could probably get away with it. Otherwise if you are going to do it legitimately you have to register within three months of starting out. If you are employed and paying Class one national insurance contributions you won't have to pay class 2 contributions. If you don't expect to earn much from self employed work in a year you can declare this and be exempt from paying class 4 contributions so you only have to pay tax on you profits which if you keep any graphic design related receipts will bring the profit down (whether or not it was for the self employment:icon_wink:).

But if it were me and it wasn't for much work, I'd do it cash in hand. You can still create a VAT free invoice but you just won't be doing anything at your end and is really for the customer's books.

I used to work for the dreaded IR and you could probably get away with it. Otherwise if you are going to do it legitimately you have to register within three months of starting out. If you are employed and paying Class one national insurance contributions you won't have to pay class 2 contributions. If you don't expect to earn much from self employed work in a year you can declare this and be exempt from paying class 4 contributions so you only have to pay tax on you profits which if you keep any graphic design related receipts will bring the profit down (whether or not it was for the self employment:icon_wink:).

But if it were me and it wasn't for much work, I'd do it cash in hand. You can still create a VAT free invoice but you just won't be doing anything at your end and is really for the customer's books.

Thats how I started off until I built up a strong client base and finally registered as self employed December 05 :)

I was working for someone else whilst building up a base of clients by doing work at nights and weekends. I registered as self employed once I left my previous employer and started Pixels Ink.

Just thought I'd add that.

I think a lot of people do that - If I were to go freelance I'd definately keep my day job and build up a client base first and then take the plunge but you can be self employed and employed at the same time like I said before in case you were to do it all proper.

Back