Font Licenses

Dillymarno

I'm fairly certain this will be a common question, but I am wondering about font licensing...

I have been scanning the internet for fonts that I would like to use in projects, most are familiar names like Cooper Black, Helvetica, Times... but I am wanting to know how I can use them. I want to use these for commercial work, does this mean I have to buy them? Things like Times come as standard on a computer, but are the allowed for commercial work, or do you have to buy a license for that? A font I particularly like is Cooper Black, but the websites I can purchase and download from seem to offer no description of what ACTUALLY purchasing the font will allow me to do. I am looking at these for logo and printed material design work rather than websites (as I understand the licensing is different for those), but I find it all very confusing... can anyone help? I guess if they come on your computer that they come with SOME kind of license already installed, but I can't find any reference to show what it will allow...

Thank you for any help you can offer...

Back