First website/online portfolio

simonsimonsimon

Simon Rogers

I've just finished on an art foundation at Ravensbourne. Made this site on Cargo, would really appreciate any critique.

Still got a couple of projects to put up but I'm working on how to present them. Work is also needed on the presentation of my forgotten words project.

With regards to the layout I'm not a fan of the front page, as it look a bit messy with the 'Welcome' heading. I'd separate the links from the portfolio links in the navigation too as it's a little confusing.

I really like your work though, especially the Forgotten Words project :)

With regards to the layout I'm not a fan of the front page, as it look a bit messy with the 'Welcome' heading. I'd separate the links from the portfolio links in the navigation too as it's a little confusing.

I really like your work though, especially the Forgotten Words project :)

Cheers for the help! I'm think a fixed navigation column along the side might be better? I'm trying to work out how I can add some personality to the website - any wisdom would be appreciated.

Hah you have no idea the kind of hell I went through trying to print that newspaper. Still it was all worth it when some second year graphics students saw me folding it together and asked me "So this is your third year final project?"

Cargo can look good with not much effort tbh. I prefer the templates with side navs as i think they look a lot cleaner. also the cyan hover on links it questionable...
Like Paul I really like some of the work :)
I find the best thing with cargo is to check out the kind of stuff other people are doing

As mentioned above, I think the site could do with a few tweaks just to make it a bit smoother to read and the vertical navigation would certainly help, particularly with just two links on the second line currently as they feel slightly out of place somewhat. I think I'd also get rid of the hover attribute and perhaps alter the header but, aside from that, keeping it to a fairly minimalistic feel will work just fine for the site in my eyes.

Again, as mentioned, I really love the idea behind the Forgotten Words piece, perhaps not quite so much the execution but certainly the idea. There are things with the design I don't particularly like e.g. on page 10, having the gradient box in the background just seems out of place and not necessary for me, whilst I'm also not a huge fan of the way the conversations on that page are set out. But, again, the idea is great.

For design, I do particularly like the Dazzle Camouflage booklet, it feels a bit quirky and a bit different, whilst the way it folds out seems appropriate, too. I feel like I've seen both Connections and Memory done a few times before though. They look good by all means, but I'm sure I've seen them done almost identically before.

Cargo can look good with not much effort tbh. I prefer the templates with side navs as i think they look a lot cleaner. also the cyan hover on links it questionable...
Like Paul I really like some of the work :)
I find the best thing with cargo is to check out the kind of stuff other people are doing

Cheers man! Website is changed now, happier with how it's progressed. I'm a fan of Felix Heyes' cargo, he manages to make it loook pretty unique - noticed you go to Kingston so you might know him? If you have any advice on halls - clayhill vs. seething wells that'd be really useful.

As mentioned above, I think the site could do with a few tweaks just to make it a bit smoother to read and the vertical navigation would certainly help, particularly with just two links on the second line currently as they feel slightly out of place somewhat. I think I'd also get rid of the hover attribute and perhaps alter the header but, aside from that, keeping it to a fairly minimalistic feel will work just fine for the site in my eyes.

Again, as mentioned, I really love the idea behind the Forgotten Words piece, perhaps not quite so much the execution but certainly the idea. There are things with the design I don't particularly like e.g. on page 10, having the gradient box in the background just seems out of place and not necessary for me, whilst I'm also not a huge fan of the way the conversations on that page are set out. But, again, the idea is great.

For design, I do particularly like the Dazzle Camouflage booklet, it feels a bit quirky and a bit different, whilst the way it folds out seems appropriate, too. I feel like I've seen both Connections and Memory done a few times before though. They look good by all means, but I'm sure I've seen them done almost identically before.

Cheers for the detailed feedback! I agree 100% regarding your comment on the connections piece, the whole circle with connecting lines thing is fairly tired. I have a much more original infographics piece titled 'arguments through the ages' (it's a timeline from 1700s onwards detailing conflict within my family - murders, bigamy, the lot), but I've yet to post that on the site.

Stepping to the defence of my paper - the layout is such because I wanted to create a contrast with the typical newspaper format. Normal newspapers are so focused on providing maximum lexibility (8 - 10 words a column) and being economical with space, I wanted to avoid doing either of these. That's why the columns are always too wide or too narrow, the gradients don't fit around the text entirely and the pictures have all been coloured. You could argue a lot of it isn't entirely successful but all in all I'm very happy considering the actual design was put together in about two weeks. Definitely going to make some quick amendments before sending it off though.

Yeah I know him a bit. 1st/3rd year interaction isn't massive though...
In terms of halls, I live in seething wells and have friends in clayhill. I'd say the rooms are bigger on average in seething wells but the bathrooms are nicer in clayhill. in location to uni clayhill is slightly closer (20 mins vs 30 mins walk) but both have a free uni bus. I'd probs go with seething because it has nice outdoor spaces too and bbq areas and stuff. are you going there next year then?

Yeah I know him a bit. 1st/3rd year interaction isn't massive though...
In terms of halls, I live in seething wells and have friends in clayhill. I'd say the rooms are bigger on average in seething wells but the bathrooms are nicer in clayhill. in location to uni clayhill is slightly closer (20 mins vs 30 mins walk) but both have a free uni bus. I'd probs go with seething because it has nice outdoor spaces too and bbq areas and stuff. are you going there next year then?

Cheers man! Yeah very excited about, pretty nervous but at the moment I certainly find ideas the most enjoyable part of design, so I think I've made the right choice.

Cheers man! Yeah very excited about, pretty nervous but at the moment I certainly find ideas the most enjoyable part of design, so I think I've made the right choice.
If ideas are your thing you will definitely thrive there! I did some interviews this year but don't remember seeing your work. Say hi in september!

Back