Feedback?

Eastcoast

Untitled-2.jpgBasically i done this piece in order to put across my problem about some artists work. I mean you look at this piece and think 'WTF? HOW DOES THIS HAVE MEANING' ... My point exactly. Why do artists showcase their work and give no info about it and keep the MEANING of the piece behind closed doors.

I guess this depends on if the poster is art or design.. If its art then in my opinion there doesn't have to be a direct message or explanation. If its design then yes it should have a clear point/objective or purpose that is easily identifiable by the end user.

Also that Kerning on DO is killing me

To paraphrase whoever it was that said it, the purpose of art (not design) isn't to tell you something new but rather to give form to something that you might have felt. Also, although art will inevitably provoke criticism and discussion, an artwork that doesn't work without footnotes doesn't work at all.

Art is very much based on interpretation, while design has a much more focused purpose.

@jooty The 'D O' is killing you? I was trying to read 'Have Any' as one word! haha. It's overkill lol.

the dictionary definition of poster is as follows:

1. A large printed picture used for decoration.
2. A large printed picture, notice, or advertisement displayed in a public place: "a poster campaign".

So, going on the above, a poster doesn't NEED to have meaning although it inevitably will hold some meaning to the creator/artist.

More pertinently, I think some people set out to pass off deliberately vague materials as art, the ruse being that a gullible public will fall for the false idea something which is difficult to make sense of is clever, high-minded and important when the true reason it's diffcult to make sense of is because its nonsense. Everything has meaning but not every meaning has value.

Back