Feedback on a logo redesign - Graphic Design Student.

neicymurfy

Hello Designers,
I am hoping to get some feedback on my hypothetical logo redesign for IKEA for college assessment please?
Any advise good or bad will help me to learn.
Thank you, much appreciated.
Denise.

The brief was to redesign Ikea Logo to;
Appeal to an international target market. 20-40 year olds.
Designs that will work in print and digital.
Convey the brand to be; Modern, innovative, affordable, international, stylish
2020-10-08_22-44-47.jpg
Could you please provide feedback per the following questions?

Do you prefer Design 1 or Design 2?

What does the logo represent to you?

Is it legible? Is it easy to read and understand?

What is the core product/service undertaken by the business?

What do you think about the company when you see this? (List a range of key adjectives for them to choose from ie innovative, stylish)

Does it stand out and catch your eye amongst common competitors?

Does it feel genuine? –( that Ikea could genuinely use this as a replacement logo)

Are there any technical, legal or budgetary issues that need to be considered?

The very first question you should ask before even thinking about changing such a strong, far-reaching, well-established brand logo is, ‘Why does it need changing?’. Unless the company has a change of direction, or there some other reason they need to revise their strategy, change in market forces, adjust their demographic, etc, it is a very risky thing to start playing around with such a strong brand. Especially with such a dramatic change.

As with anything designed, if there is not a good reason to do something, don’t do it.

As to the specifics, you might not like what I have to say, but please take it as honest, constructive criticism rather than destructive.

Of the two, the second, but neither are ideal and certainly do not reflect ikeas brand

Honestly? Slightly vacuous (meaningless strapline), ubiquitous company with a slightly retro look (colour choice). Not very Ikea.

Only because we know what it is supposed to say.

Redundant question.

What do you think about the company when you see this? (List a range of key adjectives for them to choose from ie innovative, stylish)
Sorry but; bland, ubiquitous, disjointed, unharmonious, muddy. Pretty much everything Ikea isn’t.

No

Does it feel genuine? –( that Ikea could genuinely use this as a replacement logo)
Definitely not, unless they have decided to venture into brownish furniture for the over 60s

Can’t answer the legal question. Unless you have copied this from somewhere else, then the legal implications from the design of the logo itself, for you as a designer, are not exhaustive (your conduct as a business is a different matter). As to financial and technical implications. Of course there are. Can you imagine how many millions it would take to change ikea’s brand on every shop, produce, piece of paper, website,etc. An eye-watering sum and amount of work.

To be honest, the whole brief is unrealistic. Not your fault, but I a surprised your college even set it. Given that they have Set it and you have to work with it, to my mind, you need to find out what your client’s requirements are and solve their problems. Why do they need a change to their brand? What are they wanting to achieve?

This feels like you have just designed something you like without doing any research or fact-finding it certainly doesn’t capture the flavour of the company and their products. I know this is fictitious and a college brief, so then your client is the lecturer who set the brief.

Again, apologies if this sounds harsh, but it is so far off the mark in terms of both a realistic expectation and the execution, given the market of the (fictitious) client.

Ditto what Sprout says. Second one is ok, but you're thinking too much and trying to do something too clever. If someone as big as Ikea were having a rebrand, I think they'd stick pretty close
to what they already have.

Do some research and see what others have done in the past - search for something like 'large retail company rebrand'or something.

Honest answers, no offence intended.

Neither if I'm being honest and imo they don't actually hit the criteria of the brief. For one thing Ikea wouldn't be changing their colours to the muted tones like you have....

Not Ikea.... it feels like someone trying to be 'trendy' but missing out who the target market and company they're representing is.

Honest opinion, they only 'work' because we know who the brand is already... Ikea already have a memorable logo and colour scheme.

Who knows.... we already know what Ikea does though so as above pretty redundant question...

Out of touch, trying to be 'hip', but hasn't got a clue about target they're trying to hit.

Nope, the current one used by Ikea does though

No

Yes there are a LOT....
Technical - things like making sure all the logo's are the same
Legal - copyright, trademarks etc
Budget - well someone needs to pay for it to be made and your services

There are likely other things too.

I presume the colours of IKEA are because they are a Swedish company, and it's the Swedish flag colours.

I appreciate your time given in constructing responses.
Yes, on reflection I agree I have overthought this and gone too far... this isn't a million miles away from what a lot of my peers have created as well. Have not gotten any guidance from tutors so really just trying to make uninformed style decisions and as you can probably tell I'm inexperienced.
Regarding the questions; We were given these specific questions to ask other Graphic Designer. It's mandatory part of this assessment.

@hankscorpio the brief is very long so don't want to share the whole brief.....this is an alt colour scheme - brief requested 2.
I have this in similar to current colour scheme, is this salveagable at all in the IKEA colour scheme? ( to pass an assessment, learn from my mistak
es and move on)

I appreciate your time given in constructing responses.
Have not gotten any guidance from tutors so really just trying to make uninformed style decisions and as you can probably tell I'm inexperienced.

Replace tutors with clients in your sentence and welcome to design.

@hankscorpio the brief is very long so don't want to share the whole brief.....this is an alt colour scheme - brief requested 2.
I have this in similar to current colour scheme, is this salveagable at all in the IKEA colour scheme? ( to pass an assessment, learn from my mistak
es and move on)

Fair enough, but at least pick colours relating to Sweden? https://www.google.com/search?q=swe...biw=1572&rlz=1C1CHBD_enIE877IE877&safe=active

What icons do those between 20 and 40 relate to? Are they the same in every country?

This looks like a typical lazy college task. One where the tutors have no idea sI just make something up.

Hello Designers,
I am hoping to get some feedback on my hypothetical logo redesign for IKEA for college assessment please?
Any advise good or bad will help me to learn.
Thank you, much appreciated.
Denise.

The brief was to redesign Ikea Logo to;
Appeal to an international target market. 20-40 year olds.
Designs that will work in print and digital.
Convey the brand to be; Modern, innovative, affordable, international, stylish
View attachment 7677
Could you please provide feedback per the following questions?

Hey Neicy,
I appreciate your struggle however the designs look so simple. Please bring innovation and creativity in it as the design is meant for reflecting the whole theme of the brand and colors are meaningful too.
Best wishes

Back