Feathered graphic prints solid -WHY!!!!

Mandy

I hope some one can help me - I have a piece of artwork which isn't printing correctly. I have a white rectangle on the artwork which is feathered around the edges. It straddles a photograph and a solid red banner.

On my screen it is perfect, when I print from my printer at home it is perfect - when the printer has printed a proof for client checking it feathers correctly over the photograph, but over the banner it prints solid.

I work in Illustrator CS3. I have no clue why it is doing this or how to rectify

Help!:icon_Wall:

Probably being obvious here but have you asked the print firm? I mean it could be something as simple as the printer they are using to proof out can't handle it etc.

Hi

It was the first thing I said:icon_smile:! It was weird because there are similar sections and they've printed fine, which is what made me think in the end that it was an artwork issue in those sections. I've since gone back in to the artwork and had a look at the transparencies and I'm hoping that I may have sorted it.

Won't know until they print another proof!

That's good :icon_smile: - even so it could just be blocked printer nozzles / heads; it would seem strange your own printer outputs correctly. Anyhow good luck with it :icon_hug:

Also should have said, if your outputting to PDF, the X-4:2008 (0r whatever it is lol, ends in an 8) handles transparency best

Mine only goes up to 2007! Bugger! :icon_lol:

Anyway, I've taken the digital equivalent of a sledgehammer to it and flattened the transparency and - touch wood - it appears to be playing ball.

I do like it when curveballs like this happen - I learn more about how my software works. Does help to have people such as yourself to call on when i can't get my head around it! Thank you!

Ha ha!! Don't panic! :icon_biggrin:
Just good to know that there is someone who know's a little more than me who is happy to give a little advice in times of frustration!

Is the printer printing the proof from the pre plate rip or just printing the PDF you've sent? It may be something as simple as a memory issue with his printer. I know one of ours doesn't handle graients or text on curves very well but once ripped it's fine.

Is the printer printing the proof from the pre plate rip or just printing the PDF you've sent? It may be something as simple as a memory issue with his printer. I know one of ours doesn't handle graients or text on curves very well but once ripped it's fine.

Hi - as far as I know he's printing from the PDF I sent him. It should work now though - hopefully! I found that the transparency in the PDF format did chuck a wobbler. He's keeping an eye on it anyway and I know what to look for now too. Either that or I just steer well clear of feathering!

Thanks for your advice though, bigdave - much appreciated! :icon_biggrin:

Back