(Experienced Photoshop designer/ artist needed): I need a technique to create some unique colors

aquaartist

Hi, I am a digital illustrator and I need a specific group of colors from the RGB color space for a unique style of illustration.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to create them. These colors cannot be simply selected by sight, or created using normal tonal adjustment techniques.

If you examine them closely, you will notice that they all share a certain quality/ contrast (and I have no idea what it is, but it is there).

In the examples, I am NOT looking for the exact colors, I am simply looking for a technique to create the colors from that family. If you have ever come across such a technique please do share.

It's something I've been searching for quite a long time and I'm willing to pay if required.

Attachments

• Colors I need.png
    Colors I need.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
I'm not sure I understand what you need?

I understand that my request is strange. I am trying to emulate an art style that is completely unique.

What I mean is: after I am done painting, I need to refine my illustration and adjust the colors (by using Curves, HSL adjustment, color balance etc). Unfortunately, these techniques are not enough to produce the colors I want. I have been researching this for a long time and I have never met another artist who uses these colors. Why? Because they are not obtainable by normal adjustments. Despite that, these colors still exist in the RGB color space.

I think there is a way to do it in Photoshop, I just don't know how.

You're either going to need to give us some image examples or explain a LOT better than what you have done. Like Paul, I have no idea what it is you're actually trying to do...

There seems to be hardly any discernible difference between some of those colours, and what there is could just be the difference between your computer display and ours.
It could also be just a matter of choosing a different brush or adjusting the opacity and/or flow.

Are you sure the piece of work you are trying to emulate has been done in Ps and not something like Paint, or even a newer/older version of Ps?

Are you sure the piece of work you are trying to emulate has been done in Ps and not something like Paint, or even a newer/older version of Ps?
If it's like their profile image it could have been done in manga studio (or whatever it's called now), painter or any number of 'painting' programs, not to mention some 'cel shaded' artwork is just done straight up in 3D programs now....

Oops, I thought that zooming in close would make it clearer.

So in the example I just uploaded, the final image is on the right. To achieve it, the artist would, of course, use normal adjustments (curves, color balance etc) and paint over, but there is another technique at the end to really get the colors there.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    959.4 KB · Views: 10
Just regular adjustments alone are not enough, I've tried it many times over the years. The final colors (excluding colors of line and eyes) all belong to one group. I've studied the colors of so many different artworks, from photography, graphic design and digital painting of splash arts, they all use normal colors.

Mathematically speaking, the colors I want require a different technique..

I'm sorry, there's nothing obvious there to me that can't be achieved by just bumping up the saturation
or adding a magenta photo filter etc. From those examples it just looks like the one on the left is CMYK and RGB on the right.

Yeah that's just normal 'post processing' and/or 'colour grading' imo, nothing special being done.

That example you've posted looks like it's mainly had the satursation boosted and maybe curves/levels adjusted to darken the shadows slightly and increase the brightness of the whites. This makes the specular highlights on the legs and breast a bit lighter, making them look slighty shinier. Personally I'd just play around with adjustment layers until you get a style that you think looks best for your work.

There's also the likelihhood that a lot of the changes were added by hand in the post-processing stage.

Back