Do digital print presses have the problem of misregistration like offset printers?

Yes, it's usually down to head alignment or media feed, or in most cases I've come across, rob pope fiddling with things he doesn't understand but pretends to.:icon_cursing:

The technology gets better and better re: digital.

For offset it is down to the regular servicing of the press and skill of the operator - should NEVER be a problem on offset.

Peter

Thanks for your help.

I have to say, I post here and on other forums, and there is almost 0 agreement lol.

Some people tell me that because of misregistration not to knockout white text out of rich black using 4c rich black, but make a rich black out of 3c or 2c. Others say use 4c rich black, the printer should be able to handle it as long as the text isn't below 12pt.

It's a very confusing industry. Some talks as if the print presses can handle anything in any colour as long as it's not tiny, and others are telling me to make do with 2 or 3c blacks etc. etc.

Thanks for your help.

I have to say, I post here and on other forums, and there is almost 0 agreement lol.

Some people tell me that because of misregistration not to knockout white text out of rich black using 4c rich black, but make a rich black out of 3c or 2c. Others say use 4c rich black, the printer should be able to handle it as long as the text isn't below 12pt.

It's a very confusing industry. Some talks as if the print presses can handle anything in any colour as long as it's not tiny, and others are telling me to make do with 2 or 3c blacks etc. etc.

What you should do is ask the printer who will be printing your work, in order to set up your artwork right. There are variations between different printing houses, depending on their technology / skill level etc. This is why you get different answers from different people. Your particular printer for this job is the one who knows how it should be set up. Always ask your printer their specs.

^^ and also to be honest on small type you shouldn't need 4c black. 100% black or 100% black + 30 or 40% cyan will be more than adequate.

^^ and also to be honest on small type you shouldn't need 4c black. 100% black or 100% black + 30 or 40% cyan will be more than adequate.

I would say this is the case, but confirm with your printer. As Kate says, text is usually fine just 100% k, it tends to be large solids of k that potentially need to be that particular print firm's 'rich black'.

Back