Dissertation help

Go-di87

Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking my BA Honors in Graphic communication. I have been thinking up ideas for my dissertation proposal. I am not a strong writer and feel this will be my weak spot, i want to achieve the best mark possible.

I have wrote note after note gathering ideas and researching and i would just like to see peoples views on the topic i have,to see possible angles that i can create and argument rather than writing the full dissertation on something quite bold.

here's what i have come up with, any feed back would be very much appreciated

How Perception of image can create illusion?

Has the world wide web destroyed the art of graphic design?

What is the importance of graphic communication in today's society when we arrive at an emergency situation and how has it developed from previous occurrences to improve our safety and awareness to prevent forms of hesitation?

the last topic i have spent a little more time on and was looking into the design in aircraft cards. The previous topics are quite bold i understand and was looking in ways were i can angle an argument?

Again many thanks in advance for taking your time to read my thread

go-di87

I wouldn't worry too much about your dissertation. It's only important to your uni grade. Few prospective employers - in the design industry at least - look at grades nowadays and more at your portfolio.

I struggled with writing too and I came out with a high 2:1. My practical modules were all graded in the First bracket, and my written things low 2:1s - it'll average itself out one way or another.

How Perception of image can create illusion?
This question is fine. It gives you the opportunity to write about semiotics, commodity fetishism, all the theoretical jazz you've learned in those lessons. You can show numerous examples of imagery, breaking them apart, talking about the signs etc..

Has the world wide web destroyed the art of graphic design?
This question is a lot more interesting. It's been discussed and written about a lot within the industry, there are many articles on this forum about it in fact, but within university not so much, so it'd be a good subject to write your dissertation on. You won't however have much opportunity to incorporate your theoretical knowledge to boost word-count unlike the previous question though.

What is the importance of graphic communication in today's society when we arrive at an emergency situation and how has it developed from previous occurrences to improve our safety and awareness to prevent forms of hesitation?
Are you specifically looking at signage here? Signage in and around hospitals, packaging for medicines etc? If so, I'd keep away from this, it's a bit narrow to get contextual about for me.

looking into the design in aircraft cards
I'd keep away from this. Whilst it'd be a good mini project to look at, I'm not sure you've got a lot to go on, especially to write 10-000+ words about.

So all that being said, I'd go with Q2.

Back