Designing for a company van?

Clare

Hello,

A client who I've created work for in the past has asked if I could design him some artwork for his company van. Logistically I have no idea where to start as I've never designed for a van before! Does anyone have any experience doing this or know of anywhere I could learn about it?

Apologies if this has already been asked!

Thanks everyone

Talk to the printers who will be installing the print on the van - they may already have a working template that you can use.

I have experience designing for cars, motorbikes and aircrafts but not vans as of yet.

I wouldn't say it's something you learn, it's just adapting yourself as a designer to create artwork for the canvas that has been put in front of you, in this case a van. Once you know the dimensions and the type of van you are producing the design for, you'll then know exactly what you've got to work with. While doing your design, bear in mind parts of the van which has curves, angles, gaps etc, as you will need to compensate your design for these factors.

I think it depends on if you're going to apply cut vinyl or go for a wrap.

I did a van recently and if you search there are often templates out there if you search for "X van, sign writers, template, elevations".
Often, the manufacturers have brochures in .PDF format with the elevations of the van as a vector and you can pick them out using Ai which is what I've done before.
Also, as @GCarlD says about considering curves and door gaps.

Thank you @hankscorpio and @GCarlD and @scotty - I've found some measurements for the van on the manufacturer's website which has helped :) and @scotty you're right, I think that's what I'm worrying myself over, but I'll create some designs for both and give to the client. I'm not sure if he knows himself which choice he would want either, but I guess after some initial designs we could talk to some printers about budget and logistics etc.

Thank you very much once again for your help!

I did this a couple of years ago but it was through an agency and they provided full file specs and layout templates for the specific vehicle from the wrap printer/installer.

I guess it also depends if this is just logos or banners for the side or complete coverage, sounds like quite early days for this one.

Back