Design too cheap?

johnsonkyle25

Hey, the other day I went into craigslist and saw hundreds of ads about Logos that were about $59 or $99 dollars (even saw one for $20). I wonder, at which price would you start trusting a design on a logo or a website or anything I need someone to design for me?

It's difficult to say really, firstly I would ALWAYS look at the designers portfolio/testimonials to see how good they are. Once I have found someone who I think is up to the job, then I would discuss costs. If they were out of my price range then there is not much I can do, if it was really cheap but I felt they were good at what they do then I would just pay the money.

I don't imagine anybody good at their job charging $20 or even $100, just seems way too cheap.

It's difficult to say really, firstly I would ALWAYS look at the designers portfolio/testimonials to see how good they are. Once I have found someone who I think is up to the job, then I would discuss costs. If they were out of my price range then there is not much I can do, if it was really cheap but I felt they were good at what they do then I would just pay the money.

I don't imagine anybody good at their job charging $20 or even $100, just seems way too cheap.

First of all, thanks a lot for the answers, another little thing about this, (I’m getting a little paranoid seeing there are many risks involved in investing on a company’s image and all that), how do I know that the testimonials are real? Couldn’t they just write on behalf of some inexistent guy that the services are good? Or even so, if they’re really gutsy and add to their portfolio someone else’s work, how can we know that?

Last edited:
I think you may be being a little paranoid :icon_biggrin:

If their website looks professional, they have contact information including a telephone number displayed, their own logo looks good (I always ensure this, if they can't get it right for themselves what chance do they have of getting it right for me?)

...and their portfolio looks good then the chances are they are genuine, you could always ask the designer if you can contact a couple of their clients for feedback, you would probably be able to find some of the businesses via google, so drop them an e-mail and ask.

Hope that helps.

PS: Take a look here...

Graphic Design > UK Graphic Designers - Graphic Design Forums | Website Design Forums > UK Design Business Directory

I think you may be being a little paranoid

:icon_biggrin: I tend to do that sometimes, I guess I can contact the guys on the testimonials, we’re all in the same business anyway and I would gladly give references to anyone asking, just to keep their business safe from scams.

If their website looks professional, they have contact information including a telephone number displayed, their own logo looks good (I always ensure this, if they can't get it right for themselves what chance do they have of getting it right for me?)
I don't have a telephone number! :icon_wink:

I don't have a telephone number! :icon_wink:

This is true, <ass kiss>but with a reputation like yours you don't need one</ass kiss) I think if you just offered a postal address as your only method of contact you would still get work :icon_biggrin:

Even if the designer seems out of your price range, that shouldn't stop you getting in touch. You may have something to offer that the designer needs...you may hit it off really well with the designer and find them to be more than accommodating on price...you may even find that the designer wants to make an in-road into your industry and is willing to negotiate their rate just to gain some experience. You'll never know unless you pick up the phone :)

How do I know that the testimonials are real? Couldn’t they just write on behalf of some inexistent guy that the services are good? Or even so, if they’re really gutsy and add to their portfolio someone else’s work, how can we know that?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to write misleading testimonial claims (I may be wrong there). That doesn't mean that people don't do it though. Just keep your wits about you, question things and do your research. If you really want to be sure - ask the designer if they'd be willing to let you call a client for a verbal testimonial - any decent/honest person won't have an issue with it.

Hey, I got some really good answers and it helped me choose a pretty good company, it turns out it was pretty easy to verify their background because of a big job they did for a big broker. So just wanted you to know I went with a company called URL REMOVED and luckily it was pretty good.

I agree with that, went around logo-corner and its everything you shouldn't be looking at to give your company its own brand personality. Its underselling design, branding and whoever buys from it

Hey, the other day I went into craigslist and saw hundreds of ads about Logos that were about $59 or $99 dollars (even saw one for $20). I wonder, at which price would you start trusting a design on a logo or a website or anything I need someone to design for me?

You get what you pay for I'm afraid, people seem to vastly under value their business image!

Gareth, you took the words out of my mouth there ;)

Even with the credit crunch thing going on businesses are not respecting themselves by using this kind of thing. Ok we all want value for money but there is no reasoning or methods to arrive at a final product for a lot of these low cost logos. By following understanding and reasoning of the clients business requirements, decisions are made as to a logo and branding they can carry forward for many years to come.

When I look to design logos and branding I'm thinking of the long term future, you only have to look at the big main brands to see their logos have not changed in over 50,60,70 + years. It's important to qualify decisions so companies can portray themselves properly.

One thing that does not help is that logos are also a personal thing where as it is hard to give a ROI on a logo, although we know good and bad logos when we seem them, how does it portray the business and how can you measure its ROI from just its logo?
Would you do business with a company that has a clipart as its logo?

Back